Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lists! Plans! Documents! Action Items!

Okay, so this weekend as I was lounging on the couch contemplating the summer I started thinking about when C was little and I would put together summer schedules for him. Everything from what camps he would attend when to what extra education things would be taken care of. Oh yes, education. I am one of those parents. There were workbooks, projects, educational camps, on and on. I think summer vacation is the worst idea ever as far as education goes. The last month of school is a waste as kids are only focused on getting out and the first month is a waste as you have to re-teach them everything they forgot over the summer. But anyway...this isn't about that...

You all know I have my self evaluation times that always hit, right around my birthday is a big one. And as my birthday is at the end of the summer I thought this is perfect. It's time to put a big push on for some things that need taken care of. So I brain dumped. Just started listing out things I want to do this summer. The list is varied. There are some specific to dos, like finish booking the hotel for the Chicago trip and planning what we are going to do there. Some more general, like do something new every weekend. It could be big or small. Just something we haven't ever done before. Trying to decide right now if this weekend is covered by Rock of Ages because we've never seen it or if because we have gone to musicals before it's not...I think it's covered because I would count hiking in a new spot as something new. But then again maybe it's not covered because only Brent and I are going and not C. But then again this is my thing so I can't really force Brent and C to do new things. And then again I am already over-thinking this part...

And then there are the things that creep on the list all the time. A few are there because I'm already doing them and want to continue and a couple are on there because it's either take care of them now or get rid of them forever. If it's made my to dos for years and has never been to done then it's obviously just a nice idea of an idea not really something that I really want to do.

The good news is I have three months to work through the list because some of them are habit building or habit breaking things so they will take time. The better news is there are a few things that can be done and crossed off to keep me motivated while I am working on some of the longer term projects. So far I've started working on modifying an aerobic workout to try and find something that will make me break a sweat and not hurt my foot, I've sent an email for an estimate on some household work that needs done, I've started changing some things to help break a time consuming habit and I've made sure to sit down to write. Not a bad start. Hopefully by the time I send C back off to school at the end of the summer my to do list will be to done and so will yours!

I mean, you have one right? Well what are you waiting for! Get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment