Sunday, December 16, 2018

Crazy Love...

"...what?"

"What, what?"

"What did you just say? I mean I don't think I could have heard that right."

"Oh. I just said I'm not crazy so I can't see you anymore."

"I'm really not following."

"You don't have to follow really. It's pretty simple. I'm feeling much better now so I'm breaking up with you."

"Breaking up with me? Because you are feeling better?"

"Yes."

"I'm still a little lost."

"Okay, see, I was in a manic phase. Which, I know, you probably didn't even recognize, it just seems like I'm really fun and kind of a party girl to the outside, but it was a phase. I wasn't thinking really clearly. Now that's over and I'm looking around at what I did and what I need to clear out now that I'm better and well, that's you."

He just looked lost. Poor little lamb. She knew that it was hard sometimes. Not just for her. She was used to the personality swings, or if not used to them she knew what they were. This was not the first time she had had to clean up some messes after coming out of a manic phase. At least she was good at keeping receipts. Not like, metaphorical receipts, like the kids these days called them, but actual store receipts. She tended to shop when she was manic. And paint. Not like canvases, but her house. Bright colors. Teal. Hot Pink. Electric Blue.

She looked down at her feet, yep, a gallon of paint. Apparently the living room was about a half hour away from its first coat of turquoise paint.

"So you're saying that you were crazy and now you aren't and so you are breaking up with me?"

"Well, okay, that was bad phrasing on my part. I'm always a little crazy. And yes, I KNOW, people hate the term crazy. They think it's derogatory. Chemically imbalanced just sounds worse to me, you know? And I'd NEVER describe someone else as crazy, but I like crazy for me. It kind of fits the way I feel about it. I go a little crazy now and again, and really it's a lot of fun and I recommend it highly, as long as you keep your receipts...but anyway...Yes, even though the phrasing is bad, I was a little crazy, now that's over so I am breaking up with you. And returning this paint, apparently."

He nodded. Still looking a little puzzled by her sudden change of heart, but he seemed to be taking it very well. Which really relieved her. Sometimes they just didn't. She reached over and patted his knee, "Thank you for being so understanding." Then she grabbed her paint can and walked away just leaving him sitting waiting for the Max train.

"Hey! Sorry, that took so long! We didn't miss the next train did we? Here." His buddy came dashing over and handed him a cup of coffee.

He shook his head, "Nah. It's been fairly quiet here. You did just miss me getting dumped, but other than that nothing."

"Dumped? I didn't know you were dating?"

"Neither did I. But that made the breakup go a lot smoother."

His friend looked at him like he was crazy. And he might have been because all he could think was that he really should have gotten her number before she walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment