Thursday, January 23, 2014

Make up lessons...

Juliette leaned forward and looked at her face in the mirror. Then she leaned back. Turning from side to side to check from all angles. Then she smiled, "You are a miracle worker. You can't even see the bruise! And unless I turn and really look I don't even notice the swelling!"

Abby was packing her kit, "That's why I'm here. Have you ever thought about letting someone else handle your stunts? You know I can cover a bruise, I can mask some swelling but if you had broken your nose there would have been very little I could do to hide that."

Juliette smiled, "Yeah, maybe. My agent has been suggesting it more and more. But what is the fun in that? Playing an action hero and never getting to do any of the action? But I promise, I'll think about it. After this movie." And with that Juliette grinned her wicked grin that let Abby know she wouldn't think about it. Not for a second. She liked the adrenaline rush of jumping off of buildings and out of windows. She was the best known action star in America right now, let alone female action star, and she loved it.

"Okay, you need to go see Frank. He wanted to make sure your face will pass muster before he calls everyone back to set."

"Oh please, he knew it would be fine. You are the best after all!" As Juliette hopped out of the make up chair and started to head back to set a picture caught her eye. "I love this picture of your mother. She's one of the reasons I wanted to become an actress. She was always just so perfect, you know? Well of course you know. She was your mother."

Abby tucked the picture in to the top of her make up case where it normally stayed. "Thanks, she worked really hard and I think would be very flattered to know she inspired you. She always liked a woman who could take care of herself."

Juliette grinned at the compliment. "All right, off to save the world. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes, you will. And plan on about a half hour more. There will be more spread to the bruise tomorrow and some extra deep yellow. We are going to have to layer a few more colors in there to fully hide it."

"Genius. You are a genius."

Juliette left the trailer and Abby sat down in the chair for a minute. She pulled the picture of her mother back out and looked at it. It was a shot of her on the set of her biggest movie. She looked so glamorous. So happy. She was an award winning actress after all.

Abby was pretty sure she was the only one who would ever be able to pick out the subtle swelling on her mother's cheek bone. The dark space that looked like a shadow but Abby knew was the purple of a deep bruise. She had learned her trade on her mother's face. Helped her hide the bruises and the swelling. Making it so she could go to work everyday and face the world with that smile firmly in place.

She had learned how to act from her as well. Not to flinch when her father entered a room. Not to tell the truth to a producer or director about why her mother couldn't come in to work that day. She wasn't exaggerating when she told Juliette to be careful of her nose. Some injuries you just couldn't hide with make up. How to artfully dodge questions she just didn't want to answer. Like "Are the rumors true? Was your father drunk the night of the car accident?"

Her phone rang. Checking the caller id she sighed, "Hello, Raymond... No, I haven't changed my mind... I understand she has a photo shoot tomorrow and you don't want anyone to see her like this... Yes I know it's important to her to hide this right now... No that doesn't change my mind... Sorry, Raymond, you know my policy...No, Raymond, this isn't about money..Is she there? Let me talk to her...Of course she doesn't want to talk about it...Raymond, instead of trying to cover it up you need to let it out...If she ever wants to come forward give me a call. Let her know I will stand next to her at every interview and hold her hand...but I won't cover it up...No I won't change my mind...Fine, Raymond...Please tell my sister I love her and I hope she changes her mind as well."

As Abby hung up she was amazed once again at how they had each learned their lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment