Monday, July 29, 2013

I'm tired...tired of playing the game...

A friend posted this list yesterday on levels of tired:
Levels of tired: 
1. Tired.
2. Really tired.
3. Stupid tired.
4. Bone tired.
5. So tired that you think even insomnia can't stop you from sleeping.
6. Seeing double tired.
7. Juice tired. (Hint: feels like you've been run through a blender.)

What makes it amusing is that her nickname is Juice, so you see Juice tired is how tired Juice is right now. What doesn't make it as amusing is that she really is that tired right now. I have a friend who lost her mother last week so she is grieving tired. I have more than one friend going through the dissolution of their marriages and so they are all at varying states of divorce tired. Friends with young children who are raising kids tired. People who work more hours in a week than they should so they are work tired. All of the tireds.

I'm reaching social media burnt out tired myself. It happens in cycles. They come quicker during political seasons. When your feed turns in to the worst of the worst of what passes for political discourse. During the latest round of Supreme Court rulings I had to walk away more than once. What is the difference between an activist judge and a wise ruling? If you agree or not.

People don't post about things that they aren't super passionate about. And anything that you are super passionate about you are going to spin. A friend of mine told me the other day that I celebrate accomplishments by gay people more than by straight people. I don't see it. But I can see how I could, or even how it could come across that way. I'm not super passionate about most issues, but gay rights is one that I am. So I post more about that than I do other things. I'm not religious so I don't make religious posts. But I'm also not anti-religion so I don't make those posts either. I'm progressive in my politics but I find that political discussion leads to nowhere so I tend to not post much about that anymore either. I don't find comfort from the ultra left or the super right sides of politics, in fact I think both of them need to shut up and let the grown ups nearer the middle talk. I am an omnivore so I don't make food bias postings. I think that guns are dangerous weapons and we should treat them as such, but I don't kid myself that there is an easy answer (arm everyone! disarm everyone!) so my levels of posts about them tend to be about the frustration of a lobbying group for gun manufacturers dictating the debate. And even that is rare.

I try my hardest not to even look at the public posts on news channel stories. A friend of mine drew this for me as a reminder:

I needed it because I get discouraged at times reading those posts. The vile things people write.The ignorance. The complete dismissive disdain of people with a different opinion than you have. I tried for awhile to argue my points, to get my voice heard. But it was like pissing in the wind. I can't change their behavior I can only change mine. By not looking.

It's more and more rare these days that I even have a discussion on a varied opinion on a friend's post. Every once in awhile if I feel like I just can't stand it I will. But even then it's usually to point out a flaw in the article they've linked. I have no illusion that I will change their mind on what they believe or even get them to think about something different than what they hold like a diamond, but sometimes the obvious spin in an article (I say spin but you know once something is spun so tightly it's really a lie, that sort of spin?) makes my fingers go faster than my reason and I try once more.

And so this leaves me tired. Tired of hiding people from my feed who only seem to post stories about politics or food or disease or whatever from fringe websites that only support their views not realizing they are linking op-ed pieces not actual studies. Right Makes Right. dot com. Left is Best dot org. Thomas Jefferson was a conservative hero dot you hippy bastards. Thomas Jefferson was a secular genius dot oh yeah take this. Meat is murder dot seriously it's just so sad you all. Fuck you dot au  Though I might go to a website that just had a variety of ways of telling people to fuck off. That might be okay...

Anyway...

I get that you are passionate about your beliefs. I get that you think the rest of us are ignorant sheeple (and you all know how much I LOATHE that word) who you should just be able to convince of the error of our ways so we can all live in your version of utopia, but honestly? I just want to see pictures of your kids, your pets and your dinner from last night. Tell me a funny story about the barista who you told you wanted a calf half (instead of half caf) this morning and so she mooed at you. Tell me about the hilarious thing your kid said/did or how proud you are about how well they hit a ball, or tell a story or paint a picture. 

But until that time comes, and I don't think it's coming soon, I will just be tired.

8. Social Media Tired
9. Logging off Tired



No comments:

Post a Comment