Thursday, September 27, 2012

What's your story?

So today while I was dusting the study I noticed a guy sitting in his truck parked out in front of my house. Now this isn't an unusual situation, I live at the end of a cul-de-sac in a neighborhood where people are apparently super confused what their garages are supposed to be used for. But anyway, this guy and this truck I hadn't seen before. Then a little later I came back in to the study and he was still sitting there in his truck. Hadn't gotten out. Nobody had gotten in with him. He was just sitting there. Chewing. Hunh, odd...

So I kept doing my thing and while I was dusting the upstairs windowsills I look down in to the cul-de-sac and he is still sitting there. Half and hour later, still sitting there. And I thought to myself, "what is his story?"

Now, if you have a lot of friends who write, which I do, and you read a lot of different authors, which I also do you end up with a lot of different answers that bounce around inside your head for the answer to that question. And just to amuse myself I started thinking about all of the ways my friends or the books by other people I read would answer that question. Here are a few for you to share:

Obviously this guy is an alien. He is sitting in his truck in the middle of a suburban middle class neighborhood trying to figure out how to act normally. He needs to be able to blend in, you see. He's an advanced scout for his race. He's been given a humanoid body which he learned how to use and he has taken some basic training classes on his own, obviously very advanced, planet but now he wants to hone his craft a little bit. He already made a mistake when buying the vehicle  He thought all Americans would drive trucks but is now realizing that to really fit in he should have gotten a Subaru. He is determined not to make the same mistake twice.

No, no, no.  That's not it. He is a jilted lover who is parked outside his ex-fiance's house hoping to get a glimpse of her as she leaves for work. His heart is breaking in two over the split and he is just positive if she sees that he is willing to sit for hours outside her house just for the quickest sight of her she will realize that he loves her and she will forget all about the restraining order....

Oh wait! He grew up in the neighborhood. Back when it was all farm land. His parents owned the big farm house on the corner and this subdivision was the field he played in as a child. Now that he is a hugely successful businessman he is feeling a little lost and untied from his roots and was hoping that a trip back to the farm would ground him. He is sitting in disbelief that all of the land has been converted in to houses. But if he looks hard enough he almost feels like he can still see the apple orchard where he used to spend every fall....

OH! No! He did grow up here but he's a serial killer and this is where he made his first kill! The police are hot on his trail and he knows it's only a matter of time before they catch him so he came back home to revisit the bones of his first victim. He is trying to decide if he could make one last kill on his old stomping grounds before he is caught....

He's a cop! He is chasing a lead on a serial killer (I have read a lot of serial killer books, I admit it) and he is watching the house of a woman who fits the profile of his victims. He knows that she is home and is debating whether or not to knock on her door and warn her or keep waiting hoping to catch the killer as he comes to get her...not realizing that the killer is already in the house!

So what is this guy's true story? This is what I really think. I think he is probably the foreman from the construction crew working across the street. He didn't want to go too far away for lunch but wanted to leave the job site so he could get a break to eat his sandwich. He thought this would be a nice quiet neighborhood to eat in peace but right about now he is rethinking that...see there is this woman who keeps staring at him from her house and she's kind of freaking him out...he is wondering what her story is....


No comments:

Post a Comment