Sunday, August 4, 2019

Sunday...Someday...

We had four mass shootings from yesterday afternoon to this morning. Four. Two will get more press than the other, but four. And to be perfectly honest I had three written in that sentence before remembering that it was four. That's how fucked up things are.

El Paso- 20 dead, dozens more injured

Dayton- 9 dead, dozens more injured

Douglass Park, Chicago - 7 wounded

Chicago - 4 dead

We've got a problem. We've actually got a lot of problems. We have a ton of problems. And people are dying because of them.

I'm not writing about guns or gun control. You know I gave up on that after Sandy Hook. But honestly, I shouldn't fucking have to be writing about it. I shouldn't have to try and convince you or anyone else that there are real serious problems with gun violence and hateful rhetoric and poverty and crime and...

But I'm not writing about that.

I'm not even writing about the way that list will be divided to suit political parties. The pay attention to two of these and not the other two because that will suit the story I want to tell you. I'm not writing about how bullshit diversionary tactics solve zero fucking issues. They just give false morality coverage to cowards.

I'm certainly not going to write about how thoughts and prayers are useless without actions. And I wouldn't dream of pointing out that for those of you that practice that faith, the verse is: "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead." James 2:26 (actually you should start with James 2:14 and get a little reminder on how we are supposed to treat those less fortunate than we are, but 2:26 is a good one for summing up, if I was going to write about that, which I am not)

I'm clearly not going to write about how fucked up it is that yet another Republican Senator is ready to blame video games when we are not the only country with video games but we are the only country with this level of gun violence so it's CLEARLY not fucking video games. Or that people are ready with their lone wolf theory even though the El Paso shooter posted his manifesto to a board in 8chan where the New Zealand shooter had posted before him and the San Diego Synagogue shooter had as well so it's not so lone wolfy is it? But why would I write about that?

I'm not writing about any of that, because there seems to be no point to it.

I mean, why would we want to examine the real issues?
Why would we want to have an honest discussion about the abundance of easily accessible fire power we have in the United States?
Why in the world would we want to address the underlying issues that are causing these deaths?

20 dead.
9 dead
4 dead
dozens and dozens and dozens wounded

Yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment