Sunday, July 12, 2015

It drives me crazy...


Just a little ranty post to explain the odd little poem like piece I just posted...

There are things that make me really nuts on Facebook.

Memes about needing a man who knows the difference flattering you and complimenting you...spending money on you and investing in you...etcetera..

Reading posts by mothers of teenage daughters who post about their daughter's boyfriends treating them so wonderfully, taking care of them.

Memes about how real men treat their women.

And I get it, I'm not super romantic. I never have been, but the message we send to women and girls seems to be a constant drum beat of needing a man. A good man, sure, but still needing a man.

You need a man who will...

You need to do this once you find a good man...

You need....

Where is the advice to teenage girls that they don't need anything but themselves? Instead of telling them they need to find a boy that will treat them well teach them how incredible they are so they won't let someone treat them like shit?

And women are just as bad as girls. "I need a man who treats me like a princess." Child, please. Treat yourself like a queen and you won't accept anything less from those around you.

We let our girls wrap their self images around the boys they are dating. We should be past that. Don't encourage that anymore. Make sure when your daughter grows up and finds a partner she is finding someone she wants in her life, not finding someone because she thinks she needs something she is missing.


You need a man...


No comments:

Post a Comment