Sunday, April 20, 2014

Time to go camping!

I have gotten a lot of brochures and emails and catalogs about summer camps recently. When these come I am always a little torn. First off I am super glad that I don't have to figure out the maze and puzzle of piecing together the patchwork quilt of options to keep C busy for a summer. Seriously, it took spreadsheets and calendars and much back and forth to get it all worked out. How many OMSI camps could we fit in? How many Tualatin Hills camps sounded interesting? Have you already done Lego Builders? Do you want to do it again? Is there a discount if I sign you up for more than one camp at a time? Just exactly how much is this summer going to cost us anyway?

Then there is the part of me that is a little nostalgic for the years of camps as well. It was always pretty cool to hear about all of the things he did. Almost all of the camps would have at least one field trip day. He's seen more of Oregon and Washington than we have because of all the outdoor camps. And getting that chance to talk to him about where he went and what he saw was always fun.

And then there is this other part of me. The part that wonders how I can get in on this action. Now I don't want to volunteer at a camp, because other people's kids...

But to have a week of field trips? Like the best OMSI camps? The ones that were just a different day trip every day? Sign me up! Show up, get on the bus, go to some cool place, learn about it on the way, talk about it on the way back? Cool beans. Sort of the same thing as "New thing every weekend" pressed in to a week, but with a driver and someone else making the plan. And getting to go during the week when it's a little less crowded.

Well except for the bus loads of  other people's kids from their own summer camps...hmmm...maybe I need to fine tune my plans.




No comments:

Post a Comment