Thursday, July 25, 2013

The games people play...

"She said she didn't play games? Dude, that's the biggest game of them all."

"Not always. She could be completely serious. Some of us have never liked the game play bullshit."

Stan looked across the table at his closest friends Peter and Allie. If there really were two sides to every story he felt like he had always heard them from these guys.

"Who doesn't do the game play? I know for a fact that you play games. I saw you do it."

"When did you see me do it? Name one time."

"Right now! That's a game! You want me to pull a random time out of the air and how am I supposed to remember specifics?"

"You just said you saw me play games, so tell me when. I didn't do the game thing. I never understood the point. You either want to spend time with someone or you don't. Who the hell has time for counting days on a calendar between phone calls or texts?"

"Okay, you two stop fighting, we are talking about my problems now, not yours."

Peter and Allie both had the good graces to look a little sheepish that they had forgotten all about Stan's problem.

"Sorry, Stan. But it could be true. She really could mean it when she says she doesn't play games. Some of us really hate the games."

"But some of you like the games. And some of you say you don't play games as your opening move."

"Peter's sort of right here, Allie. We've all dated enough people who said they hated games and drama but what they really meant is they hated games they didn't win and drama they didn't create. What I'm trying to decide right now is if she is serious and doesn't want to play games or if she is trying to get the edge and is playing games."

"So what would you do if you were playing the game right now?"

"I would wait and call her on Wednesday about maybe catching a movie on Friday."

"Okay, and what would you do if you believed her and didn't play the game?"

"Don't do it! Seriously! She's just messing with you! Allie, don't lead him down this path!"

"Hush, Peter. What would you do, Stan? If you weren't worried about some stupid three day rule what would you do? You had a good time last night. You all had enough of a serious conversation that she told you she doesn't like the games what do you want to do?"

"Text her and tell her I had a really good time. See what she says."

"Then do it! What's the worst that can happen?"

Stan looked at Peter for his two cents, "The worst? She wins. First date in and she wins."

"Wins what? Wins the I know Stan had a good time contest? What's the prize we are after here?"

"Power, it's always power. Who has the upper hand in the relationship, who is winning."

Allie put her left hand on the table. "Anti up, gentlemen. I see one ring on this table. One. If it is a game I thought this is what we were playing for. Companionship. Partnership. Love. I win."

Peter looked at Stan, "See? It's always a game. Just depends on what you think the prize is worth on if you should play."

Allie rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"Well it's been one date, I don't think I'm ready for a ring just yet. Okay, Allie, since you won, when did you call Craig after your first date? When did he call you? Remind me."

Allie started laughing, "You really don't remember? Or are you pulling my leg?"

Then it all came back to Stan and he started laughing as well.

Three years ago, sitting at this bar Allie, Peter and Stan....

"He says that he agrees with me about not playing games but...."





No comments:

Post a Comment