Monday, February 8, 2010

Do you haiku?

A friend of mine has a blog that is all in haiku. I love it so much that I keep going back and re-reading her posts. It is a year's worth of experiences summed up with a haiku a day, not quite 365 haiku but a lot of haiku none the less. This same friend and I have been known to have entire conversations back and forth in nothing but haiku.

I am not sure why I am drawn to haiku, but I always have been. I am not sure if it's the simplicity of them, or just the fact that it's word play with numbers. Sometimes haiku can be breathtakingly beautiful in its description, sometimes it's hilariously funny with a simple pun.

The problem I have with it is that once I start writing a haiku, then I have to write 10. Haiku is to poetry like Lays Potato Chips are to Snack Food.

Haiku: five, seven
then come back to five once more
I love the pattern

When writing haiku
I have to use my fingers
to do more than type

Weatherman says snow
The kids hope for school closure
Moms hope he is wrong

Sitting on the porch
Wrapped in your oversize coat
Planning the future

The risk you take when
teaching someone a lesson
is learning one too

Fickle Morpheus
Does not always visit me
I wish he took bribes

1 comment:

  1. ten short days later
    your post brings tears to my eyes
    you make a friend smile

    ReplyDelete