Monday, October 29, 2018

Meetings...

"Don't look up. Don't make eye contact." EB whispered.

"What?"

"Don't look up. If he sees you he will come over here."

"Who?" And with that she looked up.

"Shit."

"Oh hi! Are you new? I don't think we've met, I'm Jerry."

She reached out her hand, Jerry? Well that was unexpected.

"I don't use my title. I think it's a little overdone."

EB rolled his eyes, "He heard Kris doing it, so..."

"That's not true! I was doing it long before that! I just don't think I need to lord it over everyone else that's all."

"Sure..."

Jerry turned away from EB a little, "So, anyway, nice to meet you...?"

She paused for a moment. "I just go by my title."

Was that a blush? Maybe. "Oh, I didn't mean to...I mean...I didn't know...I just..."

"It's okay. I've just never really needed anything else. I mean the letters and notes come to me that way, imagine the confusion if I was like one of four Janes right?"

"Oh yeah, sure. I get that. Very practical."

"But since we're asking awkward questions, why are you here? Aren't you busy this time of year?"

EB made a strangled noises somewhere between a snort laugh and cough. "Sorry, allergies."

Jerry turned ever further away from him. "Well, it's not really that busy. That Shulz fellow pretty much shut me down."

"I'm sorry?"

EB stepped in toward them, "He's blaming the cartoon. He thinks that it damaged his reputation."

"It did! A complete misrepresentation of who I am and what I do! He made me, well, boring first off, and unreliable to boot! What child wants to put their faith in someone who doesn't even show up?"

EB shrugged his shoulders, "But you are kind of unreliable. I mean you don't visit all of the houses, only some, and even then only sometimes. What exactly is your criteria?"

"I only visit children who can't celebrate on their own. Sometimes sick kids, sometimes kids who parents worry about them out at night. It's complicated, you wouldn't understand."

"You're right. It just seems a little arbitrary. And honestly that Shulz guy did you a favor in a way. Before that nobody really knew who you were at all. Even now they get you confused with The Hea..."

"DON'T EVEN SAY HIS NAME!"

She took a half step back to really look at him. And EB was right, he really did resemble the other guy. Maybe they were brothers.

"So, anyway, without a lot to do, I have time to come to a mixer or two. Get to know the community. Meet new people." He smiled. It was kind of a creepy smile now that she noticed the resemblance to the other guy.

"Well it was nice to meet you. I don't get to a lot of these, I don't really have a busy season. Though next week will pick up a little. I think it's the Milk Duds that does it."

EB laughed. "I'll keep that in mind. Maybe add a few caramels to my rotation for you. Assuming you like to be kept busy?"

"It makes the time go faster, but I have to admit that sometimes it's a bit overwhelming. Nothing worse than getting back and realizing you missed a few stops. But the good news is that a next day pick up works pretty well. I'm not tied to a day like most of you are."

Jerry broke in, "Do you think you would like some help? Like I said, I'm not really that busy anymore and even though I can't get around as fast as Kris or even EB I have resources. I could use the work. I mean, I'm not begging, I'm just offering my assistance."

She actually thought about it for a moment. She was way overworked. She wasn't kidding about sometimes missing pickups. And that really was the pits. It could work out. Jerry could see she was really considering it and smiled again.

She pictured one of his pickups not going smoothly and little Suzie Sweetheart 6 years old waking up to see him looming over her bed...

"Maybe not. I mean I don't think we should be cross working, right? It would just confuse the kids."

He nodded, disappointed but not really surprised. "Yeah, I get it...okay well I think they are about to shut down the bar so I'm going to grab another apple cider, can I get you anything?"

She smiled and held out her glass, "No thanks, I'm finishing my milk now. Strong bones and teeth you know!"

"Yeah, sure. Okay, see you around."

EB watched him walk toward the bar, "I'd feel a little sorry for him, but that Shulz guy really did have him nailed. Hit or miss with the job, kids had to start going door to door to do it for him. No pride in his work at all. And honestly, I think he slacked off because he was moonlighting as The Headless Horseman and got carried away with that gig instead of his original shot as The Great Pumpkin."

The Tooth Fairy nodded, "It's tempting though, right? To do something else? I've just never got the time. So many teeth."

EB's ears twitched, "I've never thought about it. I think what we do is honorable and just and..."

From behind him came a low growl, "Don't make me tell the lady about your time in the theater....Harvey..."

"Oooh...Krampus, so nice to meet you." Her wings practically vibrated.

EB hopped off, why did they always like the bad boys?


No comments:

Post a Comment