Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Okay...really...okay...

The monthly goal for April was to get a piece submitted. It was in service to my great goal of submitting 3 pieces this year. I'm four months in to the year and haven't submitted anything so April was pretty much a do or die milestone in my head. And as normally happens when I think about submitting it was pretty much die.

It is like all of the voices just stop talking to me. They go off into a corner and read their own stories but don't share them. Or they give me small pieces of other stories, not the one that fits the theme for the contest or publisher or where ever I'm am thinking I will submit.

I worked, reworked, stalled, started, stalled again and then finally gave up.

Well sort of gave up.

I gave up on the themed pieces I was trying to write and found a Flash Fiction contest that was 1000 words and that was the only restriction. No theme. No starting line. No pressure. I can knock 1000 words out standing on my head. It's what I do.

Except, you know, when I want to submit the piece. Then it's a struggle.

BUT I did it. I wrote a piece. It's okay. It's not the best work I've ever done, but it's not bad. It's a very me sort of story. Which means that the one person who will really appreciate it has already read it, but it's still going in to the contest vat.

Tomorrow.

I wanted it to sit a day, and that was today. I will re-read it outloud word by word tomorrow morning to try and catch any glaring errors then I will send it off to be judged.

When I win I'll share the link with you all to read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment