Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Education?

I was coming in here to write a blog about something entirely different and then the announcement came down the line that Betsy DeVos was approved as Secretary of Education and I just sort of stopped in my tracks. I mean, I knew it was going to happen. When the count came down to tied and Pence is the tie breaker you know how it's going to go. But there was still hope that one more Republican would understand one small fact:

She's unqualified for the position.

I don't care what your political leanings are, I don't care what you think about school choice, I don't care about any of that. I just want to make perfectly clear that she is totally unqualified for the position. She has no background in education. None. She has no experience with public schools. All of her children went to private schools. She has no teaching, no administrative, no local school board experience. None. She runs a company whose very foundation is built on faulty pseudoscience. She is an advocate for using education as a way to advance "The Kingdom of God."

She's unqualified.

But she's rich.

Fabulously rich.

And she made a lot of donations. She owns the fact that her family (at the time, in 1997) made the largest soft money donations to the Republican party and that she expected to get a return on her investment.

Well, congratulations, Ms. DeVos, you got it.

 Too bad our children are the ones who will pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment