Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Rituals...

"Well that's a little morbid."

"You think so? I guess I can see that, but I always thought it was kind of romantic."

What triggered this conversation? I told Brent I loved him when I picked him up from work.

Okay, so saying I love him wasn't the morbid part. Let me back up...

One day last week when I picked Brent up from work I told him I loved him when I kissed him hello. He asked what brought that on since it wasn't drop off. I had to stop and think about it and asked if I never said I love him on pick up and he said not often, but always on drop off. I replied, "Well sure, always on drop off. That way if something happens during the day you will always know the last thing we said to each other was I love you."

Which he said was a little morbid.

See?

I picked it up from my parents. My Mom and Dad always left each other with a kiss and telling each other that they loved each other. It was the way they lived. And they did it because you never knew, you could get hit by a car and die today. That is actually my mother's go to line. You can make all the plans in the world but you never know, you could get hit by a car. You shouldn't leave things undone because you never know, you could get hit by a car. And most importantly you should never leave someone you love without telling them that you love them because you never know. Her obsession with this came to her in the worst way possible. My brother Mark died after being hit by a truck when he was a little boy. She knew what it was like to have plans for someone and not be able to see them through. So her worry was real. You never know.

But I still think of it as romantic. Not in the flowers and chocolates style of romance. I am not that person, as you all know. But in the taking care of your partner style of romance. If something were to happen, if I were to get in a car accident, or have a heart attack, or any number of sudden death situations, how lousy would it be if the last thing Brent and I said to each other was nasty? This way he would be left with the last thing I said being, "Have a good day, I love you."

Which then after talking about it he said, "I assumed you thought I would be the one to die."

"No, I was thinking me. You are at work, I'm the one out here with all the cars."

I'm not sure if that made it less morbid or not...

No comments:

Post a Comment