Tuesday, June 3, 2014

I learned it by watching you okay...

I've talked about it before, I'm an introvert. I can play an extrovert when needed, which then makes people confused when I tell them, no, I'm an introvert. But I am.

I just know that sometimes I have to be social. Especially when I worked in advertising. I would have to turn it on and keep it on for long stretches. Especially during business trips when it was early morning meetings followed by late in to the evening socializing. Coming home from those trips would mean a day (at least) of sitting on the couch by myself not talking to anyone while I recharged my batteries.

The phone is an especially horrid thing. I was so relieved to find that it's a common trait among introverts to hate phone calls. We were earlier adopters in this house of the whole no land line thing. We didn't have one until C got in to middle school and was too young for his own cell phone but old enough to be at home alone. And then as soon as he started high school and we got him a cell phone that land line went back away. I don't want to answer the phone. Even if it's someone I really like calling, half the time I have to brace myself before I answer. I don't understand people who don't like text messages.

So the past few days I've had to play "Do as I say, not as I do" with C. He's had to make phone calls. Have conversations with strangers. Just the worst for someone like me. And he is much more introverted than I am. Yesterday I was asking him questions and he was stone silent. "Are you listening to me? Do you understand what I'm telling you? I'm not getting any sort of read off of you here." "yeah, I'm just exhausted."

And yes, that's what it's like. It's exhausting. I get it. I really do. But you have to do these sorts of things sometimes.

And I can't do it for him.

Not that I want to.

But I really do need to let him deal with this on his own.


Whew....


No comments:

Post a Comment