Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Well isn't that just perfect...

Today's themed picture is "Imperfect" and my first thought was it was self-portrait time. When I was younger before people started wearing the WWJD bracelets there were PBPGINFWMY bumper stickers. That stood for Please Be Patient God Is Not Finished With Me Yet. And I always loved that idea. That we are all always still improving. When I graduated from high school my best friend bought me a front license plate for my car that read "I might not be perfect, but parts of me are excellent" I liked that thought as well.

I'm not perfect. I'm about as far from perfect as you can get and I am really okay with that. I am a firm believer in the school of thought that perfectionism is a disease and you have to learn to let things go. There are areas that I can get obsessive about and I have to remind myself that it's okay to not be perfect. That in our imperfections the best things can be found. That mistakes can be the best part of your day. That the wrong turn can have you end up in the place you were meant to be all along.

I've also been accused of trying to be perfect. Usually you get that one when what you are doing is different than what someone else wants you to do. Or if your moral stance doesn't line up with theirs. And that's another area where I have to say I am imperfect. I have an ideal in my head that I am working towards. Let's say an enlightened me. But I still fall short of that ideal. A lot. I have a wicked temper at times. I can be judgmental. I can be impatient. Those are things I don't want to be. And I think I am getting better at it. Except when I'm not. And that's okay as well.

Imperfection is fine. It's a good place to be. If I were perfect I wouldn't have a chance to learn. To grow. To change. And that's really what life is about isn't it? Growing, changing, learning?

At least that is what I keep telling myself. For now I will be happy to be perfectly imperfect.

Oh and as far as the picture went? I used an older picture of myself. Today I look grubby and didn't feel like putting on makeup or doing my hair...vanity...yet another one of my imperfections. And that's a good thing for anyone who had to look at the picture. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment