Thursday, May 17, 2012

PDA....

You know how we all sort of feel like we are invisible to the rest of the world if we are in our cars? Like no one can see you totally rocking out to that song on the radio. Or, god forbid, picking your nose? We travel around in our bubbles of privacy totally forgetting that they aren't private. Not at all. Yesterday I was witness to one of the most sensual public displays of affection I have seen in a long long time, if not the most ever, and I had to wonder, does she realize we can all see her? And does she care?

Now, I didn't say sexual, though it very well could have been, and I didn't say inappropriate, because it wasn't at all, but it was sensual. I've written about being touchy feely before and so I wondered if it was just me that noticed...at first.

Okay, let me back up. It's been sunny in Portland for the past few days. We love our sunshine here the way only people who don't get a lot of it love sunshine. As soon as the temperatures hit the 60s and the sun comes out the summer wardrobe is on and people act like it's in the 90s and actually really warm.  So when it is pretty warm we are all beside ourselves with joy. Now the summer wardrobe in Portland isn't just shorts, skirts, sleeveless tops those sorts of things but convertibles, bicycles and in this case motorcycles.

As I pulled up to a stoplight yesterday in the lane next to me and a few car lengths ahead is a couple on a motorcycle. He is obviously the one who is normally riding, he has on his leather riding coat and his helmet with jeans.  She is sitting behind him in yoga pants and a white tunic. I thought how very boho she looks. Then she unwrapped her arms from his waist sat up straight on the bike and stretched.  Turning her face up to the sun.  It made me laugh a little to see. The cat like stretch accompanying the helmeted head was an interesting mix. Then she stretched her hands out and caressed her riding partner. She started with both hands in the middle of his upper back and then ran them down both arms. The way she moved her hands and arms I was trying to decide if she was a dancer or a therapist. The grace of movement made me think dancer, the intent behind the touch made me think therapist.  As she reached the bottom of his arm she flared her fingers out and turned her hands and the ran them back up his arms. For a minute I could feel what she was feeling.  The leather warm from the sun, the feel of it under her fingers and hands as she moved back up his arms and to his back, then she ran both hands down the middle of his back and he leaned slightly in to her touch.  Like I said, it was a very sensual moment and they both were in their own world.  Just each other on the the back of that bike, the sun shining, the world theirs....then the light changed she leaned back down over him wrapping her arms around his waist and they were off.  I returned my gaze to the truck in front of me, waiting for our turn light to change and saw the driver watching them pull away.  He gave his head a little shake to clear the cobwebs and then turned to face forward again.  And I thought....well at least it wasn't just me....

I met up with the couple on the bike a few lights later. The first thing I thought was very practical, at least now I know that it's 6 of one half dozen of the other if I turn or go straight at the light. Then I watched them wait. Wondering if what I had witnessed before was a normal stop light routine for them. It wasn't. This time she shook her arms out a little then leaned back over him and tucked her hands into his jacket pockets ready to ride again. I gave thanks that I was able to witness their moment of  unself-conscious bliss earlier and made a wish for their safety and happiness. Then I opened my hands palms up to the sun turned my face towards my open sunroof and soaked in a little of that warmth for myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment