Saturday, February 13, 2016

Promises Made (Part 6)...

Tina's phone rang, "Edward Newsome."

She laughed, "Hello, Kyle. Yes I know, Edward Newsome. Greg already told me."

"Greg knows? How did he take it?"

"I guess just like you since he called me right away to tell me. He is sort of fascinated I think."

"Fascinated? Not freaked out?"

"Maybe a little. Like how could that happen sort of thing, I guess."

"I think it's obvious how it happened. Is he raging jealous?"

"Jealous? Why in the world would he be jealous?"

"Come on! He got all aggro with me and Al the other day for pretty innocent comments..."

"So you think just the proximity to Helena would make him jealous?"

"Proximity? I guess that's one way to say it. They've been in proximity of each other."

"I don't know how else you would put it."

"So the dude freaks out when I joke about bringing pillows and is fascinated by a guy who buys her a building for an engagement gift. Okay, makes perfect sense."

"Wait! What are you talking about?"

"Edward Newsome. We are talking about Edward Newsome. You said Greg called you when he found out."

"When he found out that the crazy homeless guy who sits outside Helena's building all the time is Edward Newsome."

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, exactly. Wait, what? Let's start over. You tell me your news. Edward Newsome gave Helena a building when she was engaged?"

"When they were engaged."

"Oh."

"Yeah. Oh. Okay, here we go. I feel in to a Google loop. I was reading a story about downtown renovations and at the end of a story on the economic impact there was a linked story about a renovation of an older building in to a multi-use facility and at the end of that story was a link to a story about Edward Newsome's engagement news. And BOOM! There they are. Edward and Helena at some charity event, Helena rocking a giant ring and beaming up at him. He gave her a building to celebrate. Made the joke that diamonds might be a girl's best friend but real estate held its value better."

"Wow. So her mystery fiance was Edward Newsome. Damn. Now that you say it I remember her talking about Eddie. She moved here to be closer to him. But when they broke up she never mentioned him, never wanted to talk about him. Nothing. The only thing she said was that he had an issue with keeping promises."

"Yeah, that's one way to put it. I dug a little bit after that and found a gossipy piece about the break up. Seems he was got caught with his hand in the company cookie jar. A cookie jar who worked in commercial properties. Helena found out and dumped him. Sold the ring and donated the money to the art museum and kept the building."

"Wow."

"Yeah, wow. Now tell me about the crazy homeless guy."

"So it seems that there is this guy that sits outside of Helena's building all the time. Greg found out from Terry that he isn't just some random homeless guy, but Edward Newsome."

"Wow."

"Yeah. Wow."

"You know Greg's going to really freak out when he finds out that he's not only not a homeless guy but he's Helena's ex right?"

"Yeah."

"When are you telling him?"

Tina laughed. "I don't think I am. I think I will leave that to Helena."


No comments:

Post a Comment