Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Something new for all of us...

Status Update from September 1, 2012

"Had the weirdest dream last night...so of course I will share it with you all. This is going to be a longish status update so you can go refresh your coffees now if you want...

So in the dream there was a mutant monster that was destroying the world by sucking the life out of it piece by piece. I was part of a team that was assigned to stop it. We did it by finding a girl who could absorb the monster's powers. Well of course when she absorbed his powers she became a little power mad herself and starting calling herself Dyrt. (yes, dirt with a Y, we made fun of it in the dream as well) so part of her thing was she thought she was going to make the world a better place by diverting the Earth's resources and making certain areas into paradise. The problem with this, of course, is the areas that she took the resources from were left with nothing. And the people that were left there were left to try and survive Mad Max style...
Oh, and I did I mention she could do all of this by travelling through time? And if she held on to you and you held on to someone else you could travel with her? Well yeah, there was that as well, so she was travelling through time reshaping the Earth and since I was on the team the created her I felt like I had to stop her as well. My partners and I discovered that if you could find something Dyrt had touched if you touched it as well you could travel back to the last place she had been and try to undo her stuff before it took firm hold...
Okay, so while all of this was going on there were also key people that needed to be kept safe because when you are messing with the fabric of time and the entire ecosystem of the world you need to have your "cornerstone people" kept constant or the whole thing will collapse on itself. During three different sections of the dream I went to check in with my cornerstone person to make sure he was okay and get advice on how to stop Dyrt and save the world.
Who was my cornerstone person?
Well it's obvious right? It would and could only be someone this, THIS important to matter....
John Waters"

And that my friends is how the story Practical Magic got started. It went from there and took a few turns and now sits half (maybe half) finished on my computer. There were a few short pieces posted here, then it became my NaNoWriMo project a year later. And during that writing fest it fell apart in the middle. And that's where it has been ever since. I can't bring myself to do the work on it that it needs to come back together. So for September I'm going to work on it again.

Which means I am going to ask you all to read it. Again. And give me feedback. And possibly even have to jump around the story with me while I try and figure out how to get it back where I want it to be and if there is anything good still there.

Up for it? Ready for it? 

Okay, expect a post about the story, or the actual story a few times a week. Feedback appreciated. Be honest, but be kind. This one is fragile for some reason. I feel like it's made of spun sugar and spider webs. It could be really beautiful by the end but it could all wash out before we get there.

Here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment