Wednesday, March 11, 2015

It's electric...

Erica checked her phone and smiled.

"And who are you getting text messages from, hmmm?" Sarah teased her.

She put her phone face down on the table, "Nobody."

Brian raised his eyebrows, "Nobody? Nobody sent you a text that made you smile like that?"

"Fess up. Who is the new guy?" Sarah reached for the phone.

Erica put her hand over it and sighed, "It's not technically a new guy. It's Andre."

"Oh god, seriously?" Sarah and Brian both said at the same time.

"Yes. Seriously. I know you don't understand, but what we have is special. When he touches me I get a little jolt of electricity. It's magic."

"You know what else gives you a jolt of electricity when you touch it? A taser." Sarah said.

"Electric fence." Brian added.

"Cattle prod."

"Electric eel!"

"Lightning!"

"Very funny, guys. I get it. You don't like him."

"It's not that we don't like him, it's that he's not good for you. You two together are a mess."

Sarah shook her head, "That's only partly true. Brian's right, you two together are a mess. But I also don't like him."

"You haven't given him a chance! Andre's a good man."

"I've known him since middle school. How much more of a chance does he need? And his name's Andy. It's Andy. From Andrew. Andre is just something he uses now because he thinks it sounds cool."

 Brian nodded, "It's true. He thinks it helps with the ladies...and well, I guess maybe it does."

Erica glared at her friends, "He thought Andy sounded too young and Andrew is his father's name so he went with Andre. Are you happy?"

"No." they both said together.

"Well you don't have to be. He's not dating you. He's dating me. And he treats me like a goddess. He says I should always be on a pedestal."

"You know the only way to get on to a pedestal right?" Sarah asked.

Erica rolled her eyes, "I'm sure I'm about to be told."

"You have to be put there. And the only way down is to get knocked off."

Brian laughed.

"Don't encourage her! You know how she is! I thought at least you would be happy for me!"

Brian reached over and patted her hand, "I would be happy for you. I really would. If it weren't Andre. We've been here before. It's all wonderful in the beginning; roses and sunshine and happiness and in a few weeks it's all tears and ice cream. And I cannot afford the ice cream weight this close to summer!"

Sarah reached out for Erica's other hand, "Look we love you, okay? We want you to be happy. We don't see this ending well. But like always we will be here for you. If we are wrong you can gloat for ever and ever about it. And if we aren't..."

"You get to gloat, I get it."

"No I was going to say, and if we aren't you are paying for Brian's gym membership."



No comments:

Post a Comment