Saturday, September 27, 2014

Home Improvement...

Standing in the middle of the room I saw myself coming towards me. I had on a tool belt and was holding the leash of a big slobbering dog that growled when I got too close. As I passed I saw the lighter in my back pocket.

"Just where do you think you are going?"

"Where do I think I'm going? I'll tell you where I'm going. See that door there? I'm going out it. And once I do I am going to set fire to the bridge you just walked across. Then I'm coming back through the door and I am locking it. Then I'm going to feed the key to Rufus here. Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy? Then I'm going to board that door up. After that, do you see the drywall and paint right there? Well I'm going to use that to cover that bitch up. I swear when I'm done with it when you look back, and you know that you will, you won't even be able to tell there was ever a door there."

"Don't you think that's a little extreme?"

"You tell me."

So I looked at where I was standing. I could see the path back to the door. Worn and aged. It had been walked so many times there was a groove in the floor. And I looked at the door. Not even closed. Just shut down a little. The crack of light glowing around the edges. Already looking tempting to me. Already calling me back for one more look at the other side. Then I looked ahead. Out of the room I was standing in. There wasn't a door. There wasn't even a wall. It was just an open field. No paths at all. Just...open.

I turned and looked again. I gave myself a small sad smile and a nod.

"That's what I thought. Just start walking, I'll catch up when I'm done."

No comments:

Post a Comment