Friday, August 2, 2019

Not My Type...

"What are you staring at?" Glen had been trying to track where Janet's eyes were focused but it was too crowded in the bar to pinpoint.

"See that guy over there at the corner of the bar? In the brown leather jacket?"

"Yeah..."

"I used to date him."

"Really?" Now Glen really looked at him. "He doesn't look like your type at all."

"He's the reason why he doesn't look like my type."

Glen laughed, "That bad?"

"So much worse."

"How long did you date?"

"Asking me or asking him?"

"Well, I don't know him so we are going to go with you."

"I say we dated for a year. He would tell you we dated for two."

"And why?"

"Because he couldn't believe I would break up with him. So he kept insisting we just were too busy to go anyplace but that we were still dating."

"That sounds a little crazy."

"Yup. But that's what he did. Friends would see me and ask about him and I would say we had broken up. They would see him and he would insist that we were still dating but that I was busy at work, or with my family and that's why I wasn't with him right then. They would say, 'Janet says you split up.' and he would tell them we just had a fight and we're fine."

"Why?"

"Like I said, he couldn't believe I would break up with him. After a year of refusing to give in and see him again he broke up with me and moved on."

"He broke up with you after you had been broken up for a year?"

"Yup. Sent me a long email message about how it just wasn't working for him anymore, that I was a great gal, seriously, he called me a great gal, but that he just didn't see a future with us and that he hoped I'd be able to move on."

"Wow. And well, were you?"

Janet laughed, "You'd think so right? I mean I already had. It should have been a relief. And at first I felt that way. Then friends started to act weird around me. People started avoiding me. I wasn't being invited to things anymore. He told everyone that I was crazy. That I had been stalking him. I wouldn't let him go. I was making up stories about him. I was creating drama, saying we were broken up just to make him come back begging for forgiveness for sins he never committed. And since I had been telling everyone we were broken up they thought he was telling them the truth."

"Why didn't they think you were telling the truth?"

"Because he added details to make it all look real. Pictures of me stalking him."

"What?"

"Yep. Seems as though he had begun following me, I never saw him, but he saw me. He'd take my picture and then send them to mutual friends, 'I'm so worried about her, she's here again, I don't think she knows I've noticed her...' and when they would show me his proof I would sound crazy, of course I hadn't noticed him, I wasn't the one following him! But there would be the picture."

"It sounds like you needed a new bunch of friends if they all believed him over you anyway."

"Yeah, that's the conclusion I finally came to. But it was a rough few years. And so, now you know why he doesn't look at all like my type."

Glen tried to imagine what it must have been like, losing her friends over a crazy ex-boyfriend. But he was glad that brown leather jacket wearing guys were no longer her type. He was not the sort to ever sport a brown leather jacket.

"Do you think he's still stalking you?"

"I don't think so. I don't have anything left he can ruin. He got his revenge over me daring to leave, I can't imagine all these years later he'd still be that invested."

"But he is here."

"He is."

"And you are keeping your eye on him."

"I am."

"So you don't fully trust that?"

"I don't. But what else can I do?"

"Well....we could kill him."

Janet laughed, "Oh, Glen, you always say the funniest things. Thank you, I needed that laugh."

Glen laughed with her. But he wasn't joking.

Crazy is also a type.


No comments:

Post a Comment