Monday, August 5, 2019

House About That?

Can you believe that Brent and I went and looked at an open house on Sunday? AGAIN. After swearing we were done. After getting all of the remodeling on this place taken care of. After starting the "Needs Freshened" list. After replacing the hot water heater, installing a plug for the car and having the deck stained...we went and looked at another house.

And if we had seen it in the first round or even second round of looking we would have made an instantaneous offer. And we're still considering it. Though I'm pretty sure that the family we saw sitting at the table with the realtor yesterday while we looked was ready to make an offer. But...

It's all on one floor. It has the potential for a great yard. It has a sunroom. It has a little patio off of the master bedroom. It's pretty close to our neighborhood so it wouldn't be a massive commute change. It has solar panels on the roof and a plug for the car already set up in the garage. It kind of backs up to a park so at least part of the area won't be developed.

But...it needs some things. Bathrooms and kitchen remodeling, yes, the things we JUST DID here. A laundry room remodel. Yard work. The double garage doors either need enlarged or made into a single door. And it's an older house....kills me to say that because just like me it was built in 68 but that's older for a house. So there are going to be older house issues that pop up as we work on it. We also aren't sure if the neighborhood is on a downswing or if it's just older people who are living there so they don't take care of the yards like they used to and it's not really something to worry about...

And it's the same discussion that we always have. The cost. We have a reasonable mortgage here and we will be done paying on it by the time Brent retires. No house payment on retirement income. There? We would be starting over with a 30 year mortgage (we were built in 68 remember) so that means no way in hell will we be done paying on it before retirement. It's also a lifestyle changer. I would have to cook more. We would have to travel less.

But it's one story. And it has a yard with tons of potential. And I don't think any of the remodeling things are necessary, as in we could make due for awhile with the tiny bathrooms, not ideal kitchen, etc.

So basically I'm halfway hoping that there were multiple offers on it this weekend and I can just shrug my shoulders and say, "I really like my house and lifestyle" and move along and halfway hoping that we buy it and dive in to the changes.

Halfway between is a weird place to be.

I am pretty positive I'd be happier staying here.

And almost certain that I'd be happier moving.

We never should have looked.





No comments:

Post a Comment