Thursday, August 29, 2019

August Recap!

Well this has certainly been a month. Not the month I was expecting and definitely the worst Birthday Month since I starting celebrating them. But it was a month and so here I am to recap how it went. Goal wise. Not in general. In general you already know. But how did the goals fare?

Fitness/Weight! Still going to touch on it because it was part of the overall year of goals but as of last month it's not a thing I'm expecting to change, really. Still hitting the gym 5-6 days a week. Eating went to shit this month, cake and compliments month turned into cake for emotional support and the compliment being I have never seen anyone blend that particular amount of junk food into a meal before..So end of the month up a half pound from where I started, basically same for the overall year. I'll get back to healthy eating next month. Emotional eating might not be the best idea, but it works so I will take it.

Reading! Thanks to the release of a few graphic novels I read and some days where I really didn't want to do anything but sit quietly I am actually FINALLY ahead for the year. Started four books behind ended up three ahead. Got the next two Discworld books in the series done and now only need one a month for the rest of the year to hit that subgoal. The funny thing for me is that The Last Continent was the one I just finished and when it came available and I opened it to start reading my thought was..."Well pooh...it's a Rincewind one." Those have been my least favorite. I don't know why, but they haven't amused me as much as the others. But I'm going to read them all, dammit, so I settled in and...It was great! I finally found a Rincewind story that amused the heck out of me! Never judge a book by its characters...or something like that...

Writing! I'm ahead for the year. It hasn't been the most light hearted of all of my writing, but it's helped me keep from completely shutting down so therapeutic writing has been good writing for me. Fiction I need to write two pieces a month to hit that goal. Submissions, I was going to work on that this month but...well...next month. I still need one more for the year there. I'll find something.

MasterClass! I decided on the Penn and Teller one thinking it might be a fun diversion for birthday month. And it was a really great class. They teach a couple of tricks, which I'm lousy at, but they also talk about magical theory, and what makes a good trick. And I'm really good at that. How can that be? Good at that but not the trick? Because a lot of what makes for a good magic trick and magic show is the same as what makes for a good short story. Especially the kind I like to write. The look over here while I misdirect you types. I was actually really amused by how much fiction and magic were the same. Really good class. Next month I will probably do Krugman's economics class and save Joyce Carol Oates for October. We will be traveling a bit in October and she has fewer lessons so that's why I'm saving her again.

Monthly Museum/Attraction! We went to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum this month. It's a big deal here, the Spruce Goose is there, in fact it was built to hold it. But there are a lot of planes and rockets there as well. It was really interesting. A bit far out of town, but if you like that sort of thing I would really recommend it. There is also a giant water park, which we didn't do, but that could make it even more fun.

Long Term! Painted the landing upstairs. In fact I'm finishing it today, just under the gun. I almost skipped it, but leaving that space blank bugged me so gold star it is. Of course, now that it has fresh paint I can see that all of the trim work around it needs fresh paint as well so that's a bigger project for the rest of the year. Also made our dinner reservations for our Disney trip in February. Yes, you have to do that stuff WAY far in advance. It's a bit crazy.

Next month I think the long term is going to be sorting the kitchen and kitchen gadgets but Brent is trying to talk me out of it. He's afraid I am not completely in my right state of mind for such an undertaking. He could be right. We will see how I feel next week. But for now, that's the goal. That and figuring out my last submission piece.

Oh, and for the very astute of you reading you're thinking...wait...August isn't over yet, why is she posting her recap? We're headed back to Michigan tomorrow so I won't be hitting any more goals this month, and I won't be at my computer on Saturday to sum it all up. Today is the "last" day of the month. The next two are Go Blue! days. Thank goodness for distractions.

September on tap:
Continue with the yearly goals
Find a submission
Possible kitchen sort




No comments:

Post a Comment