Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Memory Lane....(Part Twelve)

Gloria paced the floor of her office. She couldn't get ahold of Dane and she wasn't sure what she should do. They had warrants so it seemed like there probably wasn't anything she could do, but she still felt like she should at least have been able to hold them off until Dane was available.

She had stood in the lab for awhile watching them direct Claude and Alice to what they wanted to take with them, but it had started to make her sick to her stomach. How could they just come in and demand files like that? And not even allow them to make copies first? How was this legal? It couldn't be legal. But they had warrants that said it was legal. She had read them all three times so far.

She was so focused on what was happening in the lab she didn't notice that Dane had walked in and she jumped when he said her name.

"Gloria? What's going on? Why is the closed sign on the front door?"

"Shit! You scared me! I've been trying to call you!" She shoved the warrants in to his hand.

"I turned my phone to silent when I was meeting with Detective Green and must have forgotten to turn it back on, what are these?"

He started reading them, "Are they still here?"

"In the lab."

Dane took off at a sprint for the back of the building.

The officers were closing and taping moving boxes as he arrived.

"Ah, Dr. Lane, just in time. Here is an inventory listing of everything we have in our possession. There is the case number, that will be referenced when you are contacted to recover these items."

"Why are you taking them? Who approved this?"

"Judge Browning signed, see right there on the warrant?"

"I can see that, I mean, I was just at the precinct talking to Detective Green and she didn't..."

"No, she wouldn't have known about this. She's investigating...well honestly we aren't sure what she's investigating. But it has nothing to do with us. If you'll just sign right there we will be out of your hair."

"Hold on a second, let me look in the boxes at least."

"Oh no, can't do that. We've already sealed them, see, and it would be a lot of paperwork to unseal them at this point. You can talk with your people, and read your copy of the inventory list, I'm sure that will be enough information for you. Thank you, have a good day."

And with that the agents picked up the boxes and left the lab.

Dane spun on Claude and Alice, "What did they take?"

"They had us copy all of the memories we had from Jean and then watched us erase our files. They also took her employment record and printed files from her training. They also took one of the hard drives from California. But it was one we had already cleared. They didn't ask what was on it, just checked a serial number off of a list and took it."

"Do we have copies of the rest of what they took anywhere else?"

Gloria smiled, "Well of course we have copies of all of Jean's information in multiple places. I mean, it would have been irresponsible of us to leave just one vulnerable copy in one location, right?"

"God bless you and your need for triplicates. Okay, did any of you mention that to..." Dane faltered, "To whoever they were?"

"No. They knew exactly what they wanted and so we just let them do it all. I mean, we helped make the copies and we dutifully erased this machine, but we didn't give them extra information."

"Good. Okay, I think Gloria was right about closing and we just stay that way for a couple of days. Please call anyone with appointments and let them know we will be reopening on Monday. If anyone desperately needs me I will have my phone on this time. I'm going to be in my office for a little bit. Gloria? Once you get things handled will you please join me?"

------------

"Yes, Detective Green that is all of the information from the warrant. I can scan a copy and send it to you via email if you'd like?....They were aware of you but didn't seem to know what exactly it was that you were investigating on your end.....No. They told me that they knew you....I think they came while I was busy with you on purpose....No, I don't have issue with that, that's why I offered to send you a copy of the warrant....Okay. Expect it within a few minutes."

Gloria stood in the doorway, "Are you sure you want to send her that?"

"I am. I'm hoping that she gets pissed about another agency stepping on her toes and backs off of being mad at me for a bit. I just don't think being on Detective Green's bad side is ever a good idea."

"Why is she mad at you? What does she think you could have done?"

"I think she wants to blame someone and I seem to be a logical choice. It is my technology afterall."

"But you weren't the one who misused it."

"But I still made it possible. And until she can find someone else to blame I'm handy. I'm just hoping she finds someone else soon. I'd like to find out who is to blame as well."

"So you believe that what happened to Jean was because of what we found?"

Dane looked at Gloria for a long moment.

Gloria nodded. "Me too."

No comments:

Post a Comment