Monday, March 18, 2019

SO Lame...

I really would like to write a little fiction. I'm falling behind on my fiction goals for the year. I also really do like to write fiction. And the world is a shit show (again, still?) so fiction is a nice mental vacation from that..BUT...I have nothing going on in the old fiction banks right now.

I just Googled Writing Prompts and went to a list of 365 writing prompts, Write Everyday! Well okay then! Let's see what we've got here and...

Look out the window, write about the weather. Or the weather where you wish you were.

Two people are destined for each other. Write about the first time their eyes meet.

Have you ever been in love? Write a poem to first love.

Oh my god...no. No. No. No.

Those aren't writing prompts. Those are how lame can you possibly be prompts.  Ugh.

(sorry to anyone who was inspired by those and wrote a wonderful work of fiction based on seeing the love of your life for the first time in a windstorm)

While I was trying to figure out what to write Brent wandered in to the office and said, "You can write about your awful husband who is making you do everything."

Brent has a touch of the bubons. We aren't sure if it's the Influenza A virus going around or the really bad cold going around or something new and unique but he's been sorta sick since Thursday evening and really sick since Friday afternoon and he is OVER IT. Not over being sick, he still has a fever and is feeling pretty lousy, but over having a fever and feeling pretty lousy. So far I am bubon free so I'm handling everything. Which is what you do, when my back went out he took care of everything, it's the way it goes in a partnership. But neither one of us is really good and not taking care of things ourselves so...he is OVER IT.

But anyway, that would be a lousy story. The husband who got sick and so his wife did the dishes. Not really gripping is it? I mean maybe a troll or something could come out of the drain and make it a little more intense but trolls don't hang out in drains do they? So a water nymph but maybe that's not really a story for a blog and more for  a "I never thought this would happen to me..." letter.

ANYWAY...

Thanks for the prompt, honey, but I don't think so.

Writing prompts are tricky things. Dana sent me one earlier this month that would make a really great story. I did not write that story. BUT...I did write a story that was knocked loose by the prompt. And that's what they are for. To get the gears turning. A few years ago we did an exchange of stories where we each started with the same prompt and wrote our own takes on them. Most of them were sentences that had to be in the story, but there was one that was a feeling sort of thing (I think, I could go look them up but that would only be stalling on getting some words on the screen for today). Anway, the stories we came up with were really different from each other. Which is what you would expect. We have a similar view of the world but a different style after all. My writing tends toward the romcom aspect but everyone is dead and hers toward the oh holy shit we are all about to die but that was a really GREAT line and I am sort of in love with your main character so I'm okay with it.

So the same prompt got very different stories.

But they were good prompts so they got good stories.

And we are really talented so of course they were good.

Except right now I have nothing to say so I'm not really proving my point, but trust me, in the hundreds of posts on here there are at least 10 really solid pieces of work. (just kidding, you all know I think I'm a genius, except on the days I'm sure I'm a hack)

But good writing prompts need to inspire something in you to write.

Oh wait...

shit...

I guess those were good writing prompts after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment