Thursday, March 7, 2019

Ewww...

I don't like spit.

It grosses me out when people spit on the ground. And especially when they do that hock up thing first. Like full body shudder gag reflex gross out.

Drooly dogs are pretty much off our adoption ever list. I can tolerate it a little better from a dog than a person, but it still is a full shower and clothes wash after dealing with a breed that drools.

When I'm sick and I need to spit out the phlegm it takes me a minute to brace myself.

I don't like spit.

Going to the dentist is a nightmare. Especially when they are doing something like what I had done today. The new crown. Your mouth is propped open, they are putting stuff in and out of your mouth constantly. You get that string of saliva from your teeth to whatever they are pulling out...

I don't like spit.

As Dr. Youngblood worked on taking out the old crown today and took all of the casts for the new one I did my best to breathe calmly and not get grossed out by the feeling of spit on my face. Yes, I know, it's my own spit, but ew.

And then I thought, this must be THAT moment for dentists in school. Can you deal with this?

Every profession that deals with human bodies has THAT moment. Can you actually do it?

When C was in elementary school he did enrichment class at Colorado College. One Saturday when we picked him up he was a decidedly green shade. Ummm...what's up? Seems that was the day they looked at sheep's lungs. Lungs have a very large amount of blood. He did not deal well with it. So ended the dream of being a doctor. Brent had had a similar nope moment when he was younger as well so it wasn't a total surprise.

But can you deal with blood is a good first start for can you be a doctor.

When I went to massage therapy school I did an introduction class before signing up for the full deal. Just a really quick Saturday thing, lasted a few hours. Why do you want to do this? What do you see yourself doing with the degree? And here are a few simple strokes, let's practice. My instructor called it the "Can you touch a naked stranger?" class. Because a lot of people think they want to be massage therapists and then find out...oh wait, I have to touch naked people. I don't want to be a therapist anymore.

I did not have a problem touching a naked stranger. Which was good for school and a little worrying for Brent. Just kidding... But it was a test you had to pass to move on to the next phase. And you really did need to be able to do it. Each class you were on the table, off the table, working with other students, doing exchanges for homework, then clinic. When you are in school you touch a LOT of strangers. And you have to be able to do it without hesitation. And then you have to learn to do it without losing site of the fact that that body is a person so pay attention.

And these are the things I thought about today while Dr. Youngblood drilled out my old crown and made me chomp on goo to get the mold for the new one. Because it grosses me out to have all of that spit everywhere.

I don't like spit.




No comments:

Post a Comment