Thursday, January 31, 2019

January Recap!

Here we go. I said as part of my goal setting for 2019 I was going to do a monthly recap to make sure I'm on track. Here is the monthly recap so BOOM! on track with this one!  (You know my method is to build in easy stars to keep yourself motivated.)

So reading, according to Goodreads I have read 6 of 80 books and I am "on track." So there it is again! On Track! Yay! How about the subgoal of getting in the next 15 Discworld books? I've read one of those and am waiting (not so patiently) for the next one to come available. I've been #1 on 1 hold for awhile now. I've got the next one in my hold queue as well and as soon as this one comes available I'll put the next next one on hold as well. I think that is what is going to be my trickiest part, getting them in time. But if all else fails I'll buy the ones I need RIGHT NOW.

Okay so as I typed that last paragraph I convinced myself to go put Men at Arms on hold now but suspend the hold for a bit so it still puts me moving forward in the line but I don't end up with it before I get book #13 and #14. I'll get the timing figured out before the year is over I'm sure.

Writing! With this recap (sneaky me, a recap counts as a blog) I will have written 18 blogs this month which puts me 4 ahead of where I need to be. There is that #4 again. It's a theme. Kind of. I wrote 8 short stories this month and that puts me 3.72 stories ahead for that goal. So four by rounding? I'll take it.

Monthly Museum/Attraction! This month we went to OMSI and saw their King Tut exhibit. It was interesting. Brent didn't care for it because it was all recreations of things so no actual artifacts and we both agreed that it was more about the archeologist who discovered the tomb than it was about King Tut. I also was in an odd mood, I guess, because I felt kind of odd about the whole thing. There was a whole presentation about how fortunate we are to see all of this because most tombs were raided by grave robbers long before archeologists got there. All I could think was what is the difference between a grave robber and an archeologist? I mean the guy that found the tomb was paid by someone else to look, but the rich guy footing the bills then got all of the things that were in the tomb.

I also was really bothered by the thought of poor King Tut enjoying his afterlife (because all of the things that were needed to prepare him were undisturbed) for ages and then suddenly WHOOSH! he is sucked away as his tomb is opened and all of his things are taken out. Solid chance that will be part of a short story of some sort.

But it was interesting...

Fitness/Weight! We did dry January. It was also interesting. I was drinking more than I realized. Still not a lot, mind you. I still only drink one drink at a shot. But I was probably up to 3 or 4 a week instead of 1 a week. I will have to keep an eye on that. Not next month, but starting in March. Revamped my workout and it was okay, revamped it again for February so we will see how that goes. But still hitting the gym around 5 days a week. Holidays are days off so we missed New Year's Day and MLK day but other than that we were there. Ended up losing that extra 3 pounds that showed up during Fuck It It's December and an extra 1.6 pounds as well. So that's nice.

Long term...Guys, I painted the living room. Seriously. It's all painted and it looks really nice. Even if I painted it once, hated the color then painted it again. Kind of fitting, actually, since it took me so long to get around to doing the job that I did it twice. 

What else...Oh the MasterClass I took the one by Malcolm Gladwell this month and it was really interesting. I thought for a bit I had screwed myself with that one. Because of the repairs in the basement and painting the living room I had pushed off starting the MasterClass only to discover there were 24 (!) lectures in the series. Thankfully they were short so I did multiples in a day and got through it all. I also didn't do the worksheets and homework. I might do that with some, but I'm really here for the lectures. 

So February.

It's a good thing I got ahead on things in January. February is a short month and we are spending 10 days of it on vacation. So...I don't expect I'll be ahead with writing next month, though my real goal for February is to find someplace to submit work in March so I can be on track with four submissions for the year. I also am hoping to end up February flat as far as weight gain/loss goes. We will not be dry, in fact vacation is about the only time I drink more than one drink in a day and I don't see that changing this time. Love those Mai Tais with no place to be. 

I also want to pick a couch for the basement. I want to move that project along now that it's all repaired and painted up. I just have to decide what kind of couch I want. That should be easy right...(pay no attention to the YEARS it took to get the living room couch and the EIGHT MONTHS I've been thinking about this couch).

There you go. Accountability post on the books.

I hope your year and your goals are going the way you want them to go. And if they aren't I hope you get the chance to change them. Remember, they are YOUR goals, you get to change what isn't working for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment