Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Day 11...

Day 11...has it gotten easier? No. Will this be a permanent change? I am thinking hell no. Will I make it to the end of the month? Well, yes. Because I am stubborn and I said I would so I will.

I will say that even though I have really solidified that I am not ever going to go social media free this still has been a good experiment for me. I know exactly what I really like Facebook for and what I don't get any enjoyment out of. I will be changing my feed when I get back on. Dropping one of our local news stations and trying out a different one. Clearing out a few more people that I don't dislike per se but that I don't ever interact with and that I feel at best meh about so my feed is more likely to pick up on the ones that I do interact with and do really enjoy.

Basically this has reinforced that I like Facebook to be a place where I can talk to my friends across the world, read long articles from The Atlantic and get quick news hits from The Post. Instagram is all well and good and it's helped me keep my Picture of the Day yearly goal, but not enough people are on there, or use it frequently, or interact much. It's mainly a place where you follow famous people and see what they are doing, or at least that's how it seems.

And, just in case you were wondering, my famous people list is pretty much hockey players and drag queens. Which is a pretty good summation of who you are getting when you deal with me.

I'm still really bummed when I think of a clever status update and can't share it. Facebook has been a boon to my ideas that need written down but aren't really a story or even a poem (Brent ratted you out, Skippy, I know now that you really miss poetry month. At least that's what I'm pretty sure he said you meant) I'm sure that what I will do is look deeply at my overly inflated need for interaction and over think it a bit. But I like when you tell me that you laughed at something I posted. Or thought differently about an issue because of something I said. Or even that you disagree with me and here are the reasons why, that still means you thought about what I said. I like you guys, is what I'm saying. Some of you more than others, for sure, but I like you guys. (I'll leave you to your own existential wondering as who I like more cause being off Facebook is making me ornery)

And let's catch up a little bit...

Donald Trump's Supreme Court pick should not have been a surprise as soon as it was known that Kavenaugh thinks sitting presidents shouldn't be able to be sued. Also are we really okay with the reports that not only was Kennedy's son involved in business dealings with the Trumps but that Kennedy supposedly picked his own replacement and that's how they got him to agree to retire? Does that not sound really really bad to anyone else? Maybe you are all posting about it and are up in arms about it, remember I don't know, but the news seems to be barely touching it so I'm not sure. Conspiracy theories are only crazy if they need a lot of leaps, this one seems like it's pretty much just a stroll.

This morning Trump started the meeting with NATO (listen to the contempt in his voice when he says the word) by slamming Germany. Nice. Now I actually do think that the dependence on Russia is a bad thing, but I think there are better ways of getting that point made, and I think Trump (Putin is a good guy, we will have a very good relationship, the meeting with Russia will be easy) is not the one to talk about Russian dependence right, Comrade?

This is after all signs point to North Korea not only not getting rid of their nukes but making more and Pompeo saying it was a good meeting while North Korea said, "get the fuck out of here with your gangster shit" (Okay maybe not a quote but you get the drift). So Trump is blowing up our alliances, screwing up his own peace talks and still sucking up to Putin. Maybe he should have taken July off as well?

AND...oh my god his followers...Tons of news stories about the sanctions and the fact that farmers are being hardest hit. Already losing thousands of dollars. In an industry that plays on the thin edge of black and red anyway. And when they interview those people who voted for him who are now losing THOUSANDS of dollars? They are still okay with him. They are pretty sure he has a plan and it's all going to work out. Why? Why are you sure of that? This is a man who has bankrupted multiple companies. This is a man who does not pay his contractors. This is a man who is being sued by his personal driver for hours and hours of unpaid overtime and who gave him a raise and then took away his benefits! He's not a good guy. He doesn't care about you. He doesn't have your best interests at heart because he doesn't care about you. Again, why do you think he does? Because he says things? Okay...

Yeah, staying off Facebook hasn't changed my disgust with him at all. Or with people who blindly follow him. I wish everyone would do some soul searching as to what is actually important to them. And then own it. "Yes, he's a piece of shit but we are using him to stack the courts to take us to Gilead so I don't fucking care." At least that's honest. But the whole, "I wish he didn't tweet, hee hee, but he's really MAGAing his heart out." Or the worst, "He tells it like it is. He says what we all think."  No he isn't, no he doesn't, he tells it like he made it up and we all don't think that way. Some of us think that until someone shows themselves to be an asshole you should not treat them like an asshole. PC isn't a bad thing if it means you Practice Courtesy toward your fellow human beings, right up the point that they don't deserve it anymore. Because some of you don't.

So there you go. Day 11. I haven't changed. I'm just keeping it inside more, and of course blasting at Brent, he deserves another medal. Facebook isn't the issue, it's me.

Twenty more days to go.

The living room still isn't painted.

2 comments:

  1. I just "snooze" people who are always posting about how great Trump is. Otherwise I get a stomachache. I still like to peruse Facebook because it is the main way I keep up with all of my friends and family in other areas of the country... but when I come across posts that say things like, "He IS my President! Trump is the answer to our prayers!" I have to avert my eyes!

    ReplyDelete