Friday, June 22, 2018

You Still Don't Get It...

Direct message this morning was a link to a story about the picture of the little girl crying next to her mother at the border and the attached story that they weren't separated after that shot.

"What do you think about this????"

My reply was, "I think that's great. The photographer didn't know what happened to them after they got on the van and I'm so glad they weren't separated."

Lots of dots... (the symbol Facebook gives you that someone is typing a reply) lots of waiting.

Lots more dots.

Then no dots.

More waiting.

Dots again.

"It was all a lie. You should be mad that they proved it because now you can't use her to make some sort of liberal point."

"What was a lie? There are over 2000 kids that were separated. That's not a lie. The fact that this little girl wasn't is a good thing. I'm glad. That's what I want. I want the 2000 reunited. I want her to stay with her mom. I want families to stay together."

"You just want to blame OUR president."

"I just want the families put back together. We can talk about the rest later."

"The media just wants to blame Trump...."

And off to the races with the whole Clinton started it routine.

How many times do I have to write it out? I don't care who you feel the need to blame as long as you get mad about what is happening. If it makes you feel better to put it on Clinton or Obama or Santa Claus I really don't care. What I care about is it stopping. Which it looks like it is, though I don't really trust that because there are still a lot of people who can't seem to care about it.

And I don't get that any more than they get me.

These are kids. It really shouldn't be a partisan thing that we aren't cruel to kids.

If you want to say that it's been happening just like this for years then okay, you say that. Though I would ask you why you aren't furious with Fox News and the rest of conservative media? A friend of mine who rarely posts anything political, he's a preacher and it's not good for him to alienate his flock, made the point that if it had been happening and the mainstream media was ignoring it then Hannity and O'Reilly and Limbaugh should have been talking about it. They should have been at the border with cameras and recorders and blasting it every night until it stopped. Because taking kids from their parents is wrong. And it's wrong no matter who is in office.

So if it was happening at the rate of 2000 in a month under Obama I have two questions for you, first off, where are they? That's a lot of kids, where did they go? And secondly, where was the outrage from conservative media? If they knew and they kept quiet they are despicable. If they knew that 2000 kids a month were being taken from their parents and they chose to focus on tan suits and latte salutes and Michelle wearing shorts on Air Force One and yes, even on 4 dead in Benghazi over 2000 kids a month, they really fucked up.

And I can tell you if they had been talking about? Showing it? Recording it? I would have been saying it needs to stop. I don't care who is in office. I really don't. The same way I posted articles about kids in Afghanistan loving cloudy days because that meant the drones weren't flying, the same way I said that dropping bombs on wedding parties was a funny way to gain peace, I don't care who is in office, it doesn't change my mind on the kids.

And the fact that you think I would be mad that a little girl got to stay with her mother means you really don't get it at all.

And that's the real shame.

I already know people care about the politics more than the facts (literally saw someone yesterday delete a fact list because they didn't "feel" it was what they believed). Facts aren't going to carry the day. But I really hope we get to a point where compassion can.

When you care about the politics more than the children then we are lost. Really and truly lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment