Friday, June 29, 2018

Diet Time!

So I'm going on a diet in July. I've been mulling it over for awhile, it's actually on my long term list of things to get done this year. Not the official goals, but the running list of things to work on, like painting the living room (two years and counting since I picked the color), and getting Brent's Navy certificates framed nicely (at the framers right now but oh holy shit that was so much more expensive than I thought it would be). So anyway, it's on the list.

Dana's visit triggered me to follow through. I spent the weekend ingesting a lot fewer things than I normally would and it felt good. So looking at a need for July's monthly goal coming up and I thought, yep, time for a diet.

A social media diet.

Not a fast, I just can't wrap my head around that. I have too many people that I only keep up with through Facebook. But a diet. I won't be posting on Facebook directly for July. I say directly because my picture of the day will move to Instagram and I will cross post from there. Same with Selfie Saturday. And any blogs I write will hit my blog page. But the multiple status updates aren't going to happen. And I won't be spending time on Facebook reading other things as well. That's the hardest part for me. Like I said, I have friends who I only see on Facebook so letting that go for a month will be hard.

But I need to take a break and walk away from the daily onslaught of information. I need to process things in the world in my own space without the rush of information coming in at a fast and furious pace. But even there I am going to curtail my news intake for July as well. I'll still be pretty informed, I can't not be, that would make me REALLY crazy, but I am going to be under informed for me. One news story about an issue. No looking for other perspectives. Just when I hear it or read it the first time, then done.

I'm not actually sure how it's going to go, but I want to try it out. I spend a lot of my time online. Like the majority of my time. Even when I'm doing something else I'm checking news, or my friend's feeds, or posting pictures. It's a lot. And it's habit at this point. I will check my phone. Put my phone down. Then pick my phone up and check it again. Never really paying attention to the fact that I JUST checked it so nothing new could have possibly popped up.

I need to break away from it.

So a social media diet. No direct posting on Facebook. No mindless scrolling through the feed. No checking and double checking my Google Newsfeed. Instagram posts, but don't replace mindless Facebook with mindless Insta. Messenger so if you need to talk to me reach me there. Google Newsfeed once a day to keep up with the world without getting overwhelmed with the world.

I'm not sure how it's going to work but who knows, with all of the extra time maybe I'll get my living room painted...

No comments:

Post a Comment