Wednesday, May 16, 2018

So Good...

We went to go see P!nk last night. I bought these tickets in October of last year so I've been looking forward to this show for awhile. Technically I've been looking forward to this show for years. The first time I watched her do the aerial dancing and found out she did it in concert I started looking forward to seeing her one day.

It did not disappoint.

The show is incredibly staged. It's a SHOW. There is choreography and set pieces that change for songs and clever bits and emotional highs and prerecorded pieces that distract you during costume changes and so much aerial work but it's different each time so you aren't getting that feeling of seen it...bored now. And then, of course, there is her music. Which apparently lands in a middle aged lady sweet spot judging from the crowd. It makes sense her first album came out in 2000 and she really hit it big in 2001. So around 17 years ago those 40-45 year old women were clinging on to their 20s feeling rebellious and she spoke to them. I was a little older, but rebellious women always speak to me.

I love her "zero fucks to give" vs. "too many fucks about everything" mashup. She's perfect. Excuse me, fucking perfect.

Brent asked on the way home if there were any songs that I wished she had done that she didn't. And honestly though she missed a couple of my favorites the show was so good I didn't feel like I missed out. And that's a great thing. I mean, she has a lot to choose from so there is no way to get them all, but there are people that we've gone to see and if they hadn't hit a few songs that I love I would have been bummed. So that fact that she didn't do Don't Let Me Get Me or Trouble or Please Don't Leave and I still feel like it was a great show? Outstanding.

Now here is my usual "Why do you do that?" feeling that I leave almost every show with. When we got to our seats the two women sitting next to us started out by announcing to Brent that he would have to dance. Telling Brent he has to do anything is never a good choice and especially something like dancing. But it gave me a good indication of where we were. The party girls. Or women. Okie doke. So during her opening act, a DJ which was an interesting choice but fun, they danced, or moved in a slightly off beat but I'm sure it counts way.

Okay, quick aside, as the arena was filled with a large percentage of middle aged white ladies let me just say that there is more to dancing than a weird hip wiggle, ladies. Really, find the beat, find the rhythm of the song, move WITH it. There is no one size fits all dance, you have to find the groove of the song and well, groove WITH it. Public service announcement portion over...

So then they decided that the DJ was boring and they would go get another drink before the show because the bar area near us had short lines. Well, that was a GREAT idea. So great that they stayed at the bar for the next half hour and brought two more drinks each with them back to their seats.

The drinks combined with the 5 inch platform sandals meant the awkward dancing portion of the evening was over. So I figured our floor show was done. But once the concert started we got a new opportunity. There was a guy a couple of rows in front of us who was a concert continual stander. And I get it, I really do, I don't always want to stand for an entire show, there are some that call for it, Green Day for instance, and some that don't, Indigo Girls, but most are a mix. Stand and sit. But there are always people who want to stand the whole time. And it's a bummer when they are in front of you because you then have to stand too. But it's a concert so you make a Facebook post about how it drives you crazy and move the fuck on.

OR...you yell obscenities at him and threaten to kick his ass.

Which she got chastised for by the moms sitting in front of us. "That's out of line. We are at a concert. Use your words!"

Me? I was thinking, "Bitch you cannot even stand on your shoes right now you cannot possibly kick someone's ass. Besides that you weigh all of 105 pounds, you aren't even a threat sober."

But the mom chastisement from the front row settled her into a sulk for the balance of the show.

Which is where my perennial question comes into play. Why in the world do you do that? The tickets weren't cheap. Not even sitting in the 200 section where we were. You had to buy them last year. You spent a couple hundred dollars for them. You are a fan of hers. Why do you get so drunk you aren't really going to enjoy the show, let alone remember it? I'm also super cheap and drinks at a concert are expensive. A solid drunk like that costs a lot of money. You've already spent a lot on tickets and parking and possibly babysitting and you add another $50 on it to get so trashed you don't enjoy what you originally paid to see? I just don't get it.

I mean she should try sober out for a change, but what are you going to do with a stupid girl?


No comments:

Post a Comment