Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Oh My Gosh!

I just realized I'm 49 3/4!

Remember those days? When you were never just your year. You were however much of the smallest fraction of the next year you could be as well. 7 and 1/4, 8  and 1/2, 6 and 1/12.  But somewhere along the line we stop counting it that way. We just stick with the boring old year. I'm 49. In a couple of months I will say I'm almost 50 because it will seem disingenuous to say 49 when 50 is in sneezing distance.

But I think I'm going to go back to the fractions of years. Because that fraction is looking forward. You stopped because you stopped really looking forward to the next age. I mean after 21 there really isn't a big milestone you are excited about right?

Well, if you are a guy you like 24 because your car insurance rates go down at 24. At least that used to be the age. I know when Brent turned 24 it was lovely. And we were already getting the military and married discounts so we weren't even hit as hard as some.

But other than that the milestones seem like problems instead of bonuses. People freak out about 30 and 40 and holy shit do they freak out about 50.

I've talked before that for the most part age just really doesn't bother me that much. My parents had me when they were older so my clearest memories of them start when they are in their 40s and 50s. And they didn't seem all that old. My mother is almost 86 and she will still tell you how young she looks compared to other little old ladies. She's not wrong either. She has always looked younger. So I'm not freaked out.

Mostly.

I mean I feel it more now for sure. My knees are very chatty when I'm going up and down stairs. Cuts and bruises do not heal the same as they used to. I've got old lady skin going on now. And you all know how much fun perimenopause has been! But that's all just part of aging, nothing really to freak out about. I'm planning on living to 100 so this stuff is all just trifles.

I worry about dementia and do a ton of stuff to try and stave that off. Because living to 100 will only be cool if I'm aware of it and who I am. I don't want to lose my mental faculties. I don't think any of us do. I want to be an active and aware little old lady who gets away with EVERYTHING because I'm old and what the fuck are you going to say? Kind of like me now but with more age.

So anyway...I'm starting a campaign! Bring back the fractions! I'm 49 and 3/4 years old! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment