Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Old, you are old...

You've probably heard the story making the rounds about fans of Kanye West not knowing who Paul McCartney is. Tweeting out things like how great it was of Kanye to help out an unknown musician and such. Now, to be perfectly honest, I am not sure that they weren't just spinning people up. Seeing who all they could get to fall for it. But I can't be sure...

There is a young couple that sits next to us at hockey games. I mean young. Like we could totally be their parents young. Last year Brent was traveling and I was at a game by myself and I had to text him with a funny story after the game. Not funny...ha ha, funny... I'm old! See during intermissions while I was texting Brent the score and what had happened during the game  Matt and Cameron were texting their friends to see where they were going to go out that night. The hockey game went in to overtime so they let their friends know they were going to be late. When they went out that night. Meeting up after the game. See...for me? The game WAS my going out that night! Meeting someone at 10 afterwards? Ha! Not a chance. But for them? The game wasn't even considered as part of going out that night, it was pre-func!

So anyway last week we're at the game; Cameron is still on holiday so Matt brought a friend of theirs. We are playing the Spokane Chiefs. I hear Matt telling his friend about Liam Stewart. Liam is Rod's son. Yes, that Rod Stewart. And as Matt is telling his friend, "He's Rod Stewart's son" his friend is telling him, "I don't know who that is." Then Matt had to admit he really didn't know either. He knew he was a musician. And that people made a big deal out of it when Liam started. They tried to pull who he might be guessing maybe the Rod Stewart Band? I had to laugh.

Then cry a little.

I told him a couple of songs that I was sure, sure they would recognize. Nope. Nothing. Then Matt says, "Oh wait! He had the big hair right?" And as I'm sort of nodding and saying, "Well, kind of..." He smiles and shakes his head. He was just kidding. Good guess when someone is a talking about a musician from the 70s and 80s that he had big hair.

I just shook my head and said, "Yeah, you are too young."

Then he says, "I'm almost 30!" I gave him a little side eye and he said, "Okay, I'm not."

Which was met with "I should give you such a pinch!" It was the most old lady thing I could think of to say at the moment. The fact that he thought one of two things, either that he was anywhere close to 30 or that I would think that 30 wasn't young both made me laugh a little. And sort of want to kick him in the shins and yell at him to get off of my lawn.

So yeah, I think that the people tweeting that they don't know Paul McCartney aren't serious but I am not really sure....

Not that Rod Stewart is Sir Paul McCartney, but hey, we used to think he was sexy, back when we though we'd stay forever young.

No comments:

Post a Comment