Thursday, January 9, 2014

Take it to the bank...

Grace was sitting with her friends Jerry and Carol when her phone start to vibrate. The table was at enough of a slant that the buzz from the incoming text sent it dancing.

Jerry watched Grace's phone move across the table. "Did you want to check that? Or at least catch it?"

Grace grabbed her phone, "No. it's Adam. I thought if I put it on vibrate it would be less distracting. I guess not."

Carol made a face. "Why is he texting you? I thought he was dating someone else?"

"He is. He is just checking in on me. He does this. I have no idea why."

"Oh you know why. It's what he always does. Things with his new girl must not be going well so he is checking in on you."

"He says things are great there and I've told him we are never getting back together. If that's his reason he shouldn't bother."

"Why would he believe you?"

"Jerry!"

"No, Carol, I'm serious, look we both know you mean it this time. We were there for you the last time the two of you broke up and the time before that. We know you are done. But he doesn't believe it. You guys have always gotten back together when he called. You're his girl in the bank."

"His what now?" Carol raised an eyebrow at her boyfriend.

"His girl in the bank. Every guy has a girl in the bank. The one he can call when he needs a date. When he's between other women. The sure bet. The one who is always there for him."

Grace leaned back and crossed her arms, "Well that's more than slightly insulting."

"No, no, not like a booty call girl. More than that. He never just comes back for a night, right? He always wants to try again. The girl in bank for a lot of guys is the one they really see themselves ending up with in the end. They just don't want to settle down just yet. They still want to date and mess around, but keep that girl in the bank for the future."

"But I'm done." Grace shook her head no as she said it, "Done."

"Yes, she's done. Never again. Ever."

"Right. And we all know it. But history doesn't show that to be true. You and Adam have broken up and gotten back together, what? Four or five times? And each time long enough has passed that he gets back a fun and happy Grace. When you two break up he leaves. He doesn't see the wrecked Grace. Carol and I saw that last time. We saw how bad it was. So we believe you. But he didn't. He still views you as his girl in the bank."

Carol looked at Jerry, "So you are saying every guy has a girl in the bank?"

"Yep, every one. Always."

"And just who is yours?"

Jerry smiled, "You are my girl in the bank. I live at the bank. I never leave the bank. This is why you can never leave me. I would end up bitter and alone."

"Good answer."

Grace's phone buzzed again.

"Give me that." Carol snatched the phone from Grace and typed a message.

"Bank is closed. Take your business elsewhere."

"That should keep him puzzled for awhile. Now let's eat."

No comments:

Post a Comment