Saturday, January 18, 2014

I know a place...

Yesterday my picture of the day prompt was Tiny. I was stumped for most of the day. Tiny? I have a few totems that are a little small, but I've used them for other things. Tiny? Then when I was at the hockey game last night I put my hand in my pocket and Ta Da! I had my keys in there and on my key chain is a tiny little Colonel Sanders. Whew! I was saved. So since it took me so long yesterday to come up with something I figured I better get a head start on today. Checked the prompt and Happy Place...

I told Brent that it was too bad the hockey game was last night instead of Saturday because being at the game would work for my prompt. He asked what it was and when I told him he waggled his eyebrows at me in an exaggerated lascivious face and I laughed. Hmmm...maybe not. Then I said maybe shoe shopping? I need to get a new pair of shoes so that could be my happy place? He reminded me that though I love shoes I hate shopping. And he's right. So surrounded by shoes makes me happy on one hand and completely frustrated on the other if nothing fits. Hmmm....I would have to think about it.

Last night I dreamt that it was going to be really warm on the Coast so we decided to head out there. C was home so it was Brent, C and I. As we got closer to the beach there was snow drifting on the road. And then I looked out the window and there was snow on the beach. I was fine for a minute because I have always wanted to be at the Coast when it snowed. It doesn't happen a lot, the coastal range will get snow, but on the actual beach? Not as often. There was a good sized storm this fall and it looked very cool. So I was fine with it. Until I realized that I hadn't grabbed a coat. Or shoes. So there I sat in the front seat of the car looking out at the snowy beach wearing a sleeveless top with no coat or shoes. This wasn't going to go well.

Then the dream sort of shifted and we had stopped to help this family. Parents with two young kids and they were trying to take care of the baby and feed the toddler and the toddler was being stubborn. Brent told me to do them a favor and feed the toddler since I was good at that. So I did. After we got them all situated we headed over to our hotel room. Which was right on the beach. There was a cement courtyard that led to the sand and then the ocean. A storm started to pick up and the waves would come crashing right up in the courtyard. It was awesome. Brent, C and I watched and oohed and ahhed as the waves crashed, then I noticed a little store in the same area as the hotel and figured they would have shoes so I could go on the beach in the snow! And they had a picture of Mickey Mouse in the window so I took that as a sign I would find something great in the store.

I woke up. And I thought...oh right! The beach is my happy place.  And being helpful to people. That's my happy place. And Disney. Disney is my happy place as well. And being with the boys doing something we all enjoy. That is my happy place. Oh! And laughing, that's my happy place, right? A friend of mine added me to a group this week that is for comedy writers. Now I'm a comedy observer more than writer, but I love it. Someone will post a joke for feedback and they get some and they also get a lot of people riffing on that joke with jokes of their own. It makes me laugh. And laughing is my happy place.

And then I thought well I'm 50% happy anyway. And I tend to search out the 40% to make me 90% happy all of the time so maybe my happy place really is all of the places?

And I thought, that's it. My happy place can be where ever when ever. As long as there is a laugh to be had or something to be learned or friends or family or waves or Mickey Mouse or a good book or a warm fire or...well you get the point. I don't have just one happy place. I have all the places.

Which still leaves me with no picture for the day, but I did get a blog out of it and that makes me....

well you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment