Thursday, January 30, 2014

Do you remember when?

As the music changed Alice began to dance in her seat.

"Oh god, don't tell me you are one of them."

"One of them? Oh do tell, James, who are they?"

"The brown-eyed girl contingent. You do realize that every girl with brown eyes thinks that's her song right?"

Alice smiled, "It is my song. I love this song. This song has great memories for me."

"Of some boy who told you whenever he hears this song he thinks of you, right?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe. Please, that's the worst part about all of you brown eyed girls. You think it's a romantic thing. Listen to the song, the dude doesn't remember her name. He only remembers all of the skeezy places he took her to bang."

"Excuse me?" Alice looked over at Ed and Carrie who had been following the conversation with amusement, "Can you believe this guy? Is that what you think the song is about?"

"Oh no, I'm not getting drug in to this. I'm going to get another round, everyone ready?" And with that Ed took quick leave of the table.

Carrie pursed her lips and thought for a second,"Well, I hadn't ever really payed much attention. It's just the sha la la part that I remember the most. Since I am, after all, a Green-Eyed Lady."

"Oh, I haven't heard that one in ages. That's a good song too." Then Alice started singing to the bar music again, "sha la la la la..."

"Seriously, think about the lyrics. He takes her to the hollow, he takes her to an old mine, the thing he remembers most is making love in the grass behind the stadium? Classy song. At least in Carrie's song she's a storm, or an ocean, or something. What the hell does Green-Eyed Lady mean anyway?"

"It means you all are old. Or at least listen to old music. And it means it didn't take long enough to order drinks. I should have waited at the bar for them." Ed settled back in to his seat at the table.

"Well it's still my song. It's a fun song. And you don't know that he doesn't remember her name, he just liked her eyes so that's what he sings about."

"And he calls her a girl? So if I start calling you my girl around work that would be okay? Go get Alice to take a look at that she's my proofreader girl."

Alice rolled her eyes, "Oh don't even try that. Boyfriends and girlfriends are different than work relationships."

James shook his head. "Chicks..."

Alice and Carrie both groaned, "Dudes..."

"It's still ridiculous."

"All right, I was going to stay out of it, but I just can't. James, you should look down because you are walking on mighty thin ice, my friend." Ed smirked at his friend.

"What?"

Ed started to sing, "Desperado...why don't you come to your senses?"

Alice and Carrie both started to laugh, "Desperado? That's your song and you were making fun of me?"

"Hey! It's a great song."

"Well, sure I guess. If you've been out riding fences." Carrie laughed.

"Okay fine. So we have an unnamed girl who likes to bang at stadiums, a green-eyed woman who has something to do with, seriously what is that song about? And now you know I get sappy at old Eagles songs. Fine. None of us has any ground to stand on."

"Wait, wait, wait, we still have one more. Ed? What is your song?"

"Oh, good call, Carrie! Yeah, Ed, you outed my song, now it's your turn."

"Yep, open up. Tell us, Ed." Alice leaned back and waited.

"Okay, fine, yes, I have a song as well. We all have that one that just speaks to us. Be it old loves," Ed nodded toward Alice, "Confusing metaphors," a tilt of the head toward Carrie, "embarrassing overwrought poetry," a grin James' way, "or one that speaks to the depths of your soul, leaving you bare and open. Like the song writer knew your deepest secret and put it to music. The one that if the song plays when you are out in public you feel like people are staring at you. Like they know. It's just that personal."

The three friends all leaned in closer to Ed, waiting.

Ed took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a second then began to sing, "Cause I'm Slim Shady yes, I'm the real Shady all you other Slim Shadys are just imitating..."






No comments:

Post a Comment