Thursday, June 6, 2013

Say what?

I have written before about my love of a good quote.  Today while a friend and I were talking we brought up quotes that only seem like good ones but really aren't. Or maybe they are filled with subtext. C and I have done this as well. Pop out an "inspirational" quote and mangle it. So I thought I would share just a few.


"It's not if you win or lose but how you play the game." -Obviously said by someone who lost the game

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."
"Out of sight out of mind."  - Said by two people in the same but very different relationship

"Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all." Said by someone who has never lost. Seriously if I had never loved then I wouldn't know I had lost right? Don't be stupid.

But then again, "Time heals all wounds." Does it really? How about a sucking chest wound? Time going to heal that one? Or does that then become "What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger."

"What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander." So basically both of your geese are cooked no matter which way you look at it.

And to be fair one of my favorite quotes "Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake." So do you think Thoreau was really just an insomniac like me?

Then there are quotes that everyone gets wrong. It's not "have your cake and eat it too." It's "eat your cake and have it too." But no one says it right so it ends up making no sense at all. Of course you would eat it if you have it...wtf? But no...it's you can't eat it and then still have it. Nobody gets this right...nobody.

What are some of your favorite non-inspirational quotes? The well meaning ones that make you scratch your head when you really think about them. Or the ones that people always get wrong?

Don't take it for granite that I have already heard it.

See what I did there?

Your turn.

3 comments:

  1. Totally forgot one...

    "It's all fun and games until someone loses and eye. Then it's a new game while we all look for it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And another. "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."
    Well no, if it's gone then you don't have it anymore.

    ReplyDelete