Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Weathermom...

There are times when I know that I am my mother's child. Like when I go in to the grocery store for a quart of milk and come out knowing the checker's weekend plans. Or when I automatically smile at the person walking towards me even if I don't have any clue who they are. When I catch myself having a conversation and nobody is home but me...

Or when I ask C if he has enjoyed the rain or snow or sunshine at school because I know the weather where he is. My mother was probably one of the first people to discover The Weather Channel on cable. If you called her right now she could most likely tell you not only the weather in Albuquerque but the weather in Portland, Colorado Springs and Burlington as well. Because she always knows the weather where her family is. It's part of what she does. And it always made me laugh when I was younger. She would call and know that we had had record heat in Florida, or were facing a monster snow storm in Idaho or that there had been a water spout off the coast in California.

Knowing the weather is important. When we are going on a trip I plug in the location on my weather app on my phone and track what it will be while we are there. Did I say when we are going on a trip? By we, I mean them as well. I don't have to be going. When Brent went to Germany last summer it was in my phone, when he goes to Salt Lake next month, it will be in my phone. Burlington never leaves the favorites list. I check in on the weather in Vermont 3 or 4 times a week.

I've come to realize that I am my mother's child in this area. And now I understand why she does it. There is something about knowing if C is walking to class in the sunshine or the snow that makes me feel closer to him. That makes the distance not seem so far. If I can see what his day will be like weather-wise I can feel that little extra bit of connection to him. And if we are having the same sort of weather? Well that just makes me smile...unless it's snow...


No comments:

Post a Comment