Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's a movie review...really

When I was in middle and high school I used to write really awful poetry. Of course at the time I didn't know it was really awful but reading it back now I see how very overwrought it all was. How very dramatic I felt everything was. And I was actually pretty low key for a teen age girl. My need for life to be oh so very dramatic isn't very high. But even so I wrote bad poetry.

I also wrote prose. I mentioned that I thought at the time I would be a horror writer. I wanted to write scary and creepy things. But I just don't have the touch for those. I still enjoy some of it. Stephen King. A few vampire series. Neil Gaiman. He does a fine job of blending the poetic and the horrifying. If I had one tenth of his talent I would be extremely happy.

But my writing seems to be in the "everyday people" vein. And that's also a struggle at times. What can I write that will make it interesting enough for other people to want to read? If I am only writing about day to day things then why would you read what I write instead of just living your day to day? But still I write them down. I polish them up. I put them out there. And for the most part I think people like them. I do have an outline for a teen story line about some supernatural kids. But I'm not sure what to do with them. I got as far as character descriptions and a few scenes with them, but then....well....nothing. What should I have them do? What is their motivation in the book to move forward? Maybe they should all write really bad poetry and then I can get the stuff I used to write published as a sort of in joke....

I also have the grouping of short story like chapters that I have been working on forever that I want to weave in to a book. But they are all just the sort of things I write...snapshots of daily life. The common theme is the people involved. So I write and put them away and try to think how I will work them in to a cohesive book someday. Because if it doesn't make sense I shouldn't try and sell it right?

Wish someone had told Ridley Scott, Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof that before they released Prometheus....

No comments:

Post a Comment