Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Story follow up...

Okay, so yesterday I took the deep breath and posted a small piece of unfinished fiction for you all.  First off I want to thank everyone for reading it and giving me feedback. I appreciate it so much.  Secondly I wanted to clear something up....

In my original post about writing with a friend I talked about her being brilliant and I stand by that statement, but I wanted to make clear that I am not really comparing my writing to hers.  We are very different stylistically (at least so far) and also are just different people so our writing will be that way as well.  So, yes, I think she is brilliant and I am honored to call her a friend of mine and to know that she will be by my side through these first few steps in to the big bad world, but no, I don't think I am less than brilliant because of her writing.  For anyone who really knows me you all know I am pretty sure I'm a genius...and I look very young and thin. ;-)

I picked up a creative writing class online at the beginning of this year and was talking to a friend about it a few weeks ago.  She asked what I thought and I had to admit I wasn't really enjoying it that much.  It was pushing me to write a little more, topics and subjects are given and you write a small piece, and that part I appreciated but the focus of the class is finding your voice in writing.  I told her that one thing I felt I already had was my voice.  Brent and I have talked about it as well and I told him the same thing.  I feel as though if you are reading my blog, nonfiction writing but still my writing, you always know it's my blog.  My voice is pretty clear.  I find that is the same in my fiction pieces.  I have tried switching it up a little but I am more comfortable with my own style, obviously, so I always revert back to it.

Now the really great thing that came out of posting yesterday is that you all agree!  That was the biggest piece of feedback that I got.  That you all know and recognize my voice.  I cannot tell you how great that was to hear. See, I think I am pretty funny. Not hilarious gut busting funny but subtle snide funny.  I crack myself up when I am writing. But I also know that one person's "funny" is another person's "I just don't get it."  Do I expect everyone to find my writing funny?  No, I really don't.  But just knowing that there are those of you out there that do makes me happy.  So thank you for that.  

So here we go.  Mostly my blog will still be filled with the random thoughts that pop in my head on a daily basis, but there will be some more fiction thrown in here and there as Dana holds my hand and pushes me out into traffic on this one.  I might even post some of the things I tried to make NOT sound like me and see how you all like them...except I am worried you will like them more and then I will have an existential breakdown forcing me to rediscover who I truly am...or I will tell you all too damn bad and go back to writing what I like. It would be one of those two for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment