Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Memories...misty watercolor memories...

Recently I was added to a group on Facebook called..."Remember in Albuquerque when..." it's basically a big nostalgia group. Albuquerque is a fairly good sized city but it still has a small town feel. Basically everyone is in your business and there isn't a lot to do... The group went from 30 people last Friday, to 300 people on Saturday, to 3000 on Sunday and now 15,104. Amazing growth. And of course a lot of repeated posts.

Anyway...as people are posting what they remember about growing up in Albuquerque a few things started to strike me. First off we New Mexicans are all about the food! Fully 75% of the posts the first few days were about restaurants! And the same restaurants kept getting mentioned over and over. The standard New Mexican food ones you would expect and then things like Heidi Pies and Furr's Cafeteria, the nickel square scoop ice cream at Thrifty's. There was a lot of, "oh my gosh!" from me. Things I hadn't thought of in years.

Then there were the places we all seemed to go to. Skating at Skate Ranch, Iceland Bowl or Rainbow Gardens; dancing at Club Rio, The Ritz or Denim and Diamonds; throwing coins in the fountains at Winrock (a mall that no longer has fountains); hanging out at The Rock House or Hidden Park. And as I read all of these posts, a lot of them by people my age, I started to realize something. These are the people in the background of my life and I am the person in the back ground of theirs.

You know those people, the ones eating at the table next to you in the restaurant. You don't know them, but there they are. The group celebrating a birthday party while you are out skating with your friends. That kid you met that one time at a party in high school but since you didn't go to the same school you never saw them again...those people.

And I want to write something deep here about how we are all living our lives in our own bubble but all of those bubbles are floating along together and you never know when they are going to float past each other again...but I've really got nothing...

Nothing except a mad craving for blue corn enchiladas from Baca's and a slice of mile high strawberry pie from Heidi's Pies that is....

No comments:

Post a Comment